Zabobon's Dynamic Workspaces v6.01

DOWNLOAD Macro File:
Zabobon's Dynamic Workspaces v6.01 Macros.kmmacros (496.6 KB)

Save and Restore Workspaces (Positions/Sizes of Windows for Finder Folders, Applications and Webpages).

During the last couple of years, I had many online meetings where I arranged several Finder Windows and Apps on my monitors and had certain Webpages open. At the end of the meeting those Windows got moved and closed and I wanted a way to restore my nicely arranged Workspace the next time I had a similar meeting.

Tested with Keyboard Maestro 10.2 and macOS Ventura 13.2.1 (Note - these Macros need Keyboard Maestro 10 or above to run.)

(Detailed Instructions and Version Notes are in the ReadMe file. And there is a Help button available when the Macro is running.)

Instructions

ยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยท

UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS:

Disable (or Delete) any previous Zabobon's Dynamic Workspaces Macro Group. Probably a good idea to just Disable the old Group at first in case you prefer it to the new version.

NOTE: I have done my best to make this version backwards compatible with previous versions - however as previous versions only allowed saving of one instance of a Safari or Chrome Window it is possible that some saved Workspaces might have to be manually recreated.

ยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยทยท

SET UP:

The Macro Group will come in disabled so, you will need to enable it to work.

Change the Trigger Shortcuts for the 2 Macros to what you would like. I have them as:

โŒƒโŒ˜S Save to Workspace

โŒƒโŒ˜R Restore Workspace

There are other items in the Group: A ReadMe and several Subroutines that are called by the main 2 Macros.

HOW TO USE:

Saving Window Positions to a Workspace

Position and size up to 8 open Applications and Finder Windows in a way that works well for a task. Additionaly, open any URL in Safari or Chrome Website Windows and position them too (note that this Macro saves individual Window Postions - it ignore Tabs).

Once all are nicely positioned, click on the first Window that you want to save the Position/Size/Path/URL and run the Save to Workspace Macro. I have the shortcut as โŒƒโŒ˜S

A Dialog will pop up showing the currently selected Workspace to Save To. On first run this will be the generically named, "Workspace A".

Press OK (or hit Return) to Save the currently selected Window to the Workspace. A Confirmation Dialog will pop up (and close automatically after a few seconds - no need to hit Return again).

Click on the next Window that you have positioned nicely and again press โŒƒโŒ˜S followed by Return to Save it to the currently selected Workspace. The whole process is very quick.

Click the "Workspace" button to choose a different Workspace or just to view all saved Workspaces. Select a Workspace from the list and either double-click or press Return to select it. Click away from the panel or press Esc to close it.

Click the "Options" button for other options such as adding/deleting/renaming Workspaces.

Up to 8 Windows can be saved for each Workspace. If an existing Application or Finder Window is resaved only the latest Position/Size/Path/URL is included in the Workspace. Multiple instances of Finder Windows, Safari Windows and Chrome Windows can be saved in each Workspace.

If at a future date, you want to modify the Saved Position/Size/Path/URL of any particular Window in a Workspace, just makes sure it is the frontmost Window on the Desktop and again press โŒƒโŒ˜S followed by Return to overwrite its previously saved postion.

Restoring Workspaces

To Restore a Workspace, run Restore Workspace โŒƒโŒ˜R

Press OK (or hit Return) to Restore the currently selected Workspace (all windows will be Restored to their Saved Positions, Finder Folders Saved will be Reopened and URLs will be Restored for Safari and Chrome).

Click the "Workspace" button to choose a different Workspace to Restore.

Click the "Options" button for other options such as adding/deleting/renaming Workspaces.

NOTES:

If Any Window does not Restore as expected

If any Workspace does not initially restore as expected, run Restore โŒƒโŒ˜R a second time. That will usualy do it (it might be that a non-running Application took longer than the set timeout time of 5 seconds to open up again). It most often works first time - but this is the fix if it doesn't.

Finder Folders

Multiple Finder Folders can be Saved in any one Workspace.
Folders will remember their Path and automatically re-open (even if that particular Folder has been closed in the meantime).

Web Pages from Safari and Google Chrome

The current URL in Safari or Chrome will be Saved and Recalled. I have found this to be useful in repeat meetings.

Workspace Names

If Workspaces are deleted their data is not actually lost. Simply their name is not listed. If you add the same Workspace name in the future, its window data will still be there.

Applications

Application Windows don't remember any particular file. The reasoning being that each time an Application (e.g. QuickTime) is used in a Workspace it will probably be with a different document open and it would be annoying if it kept reverting back to the document that was open at the time the Workspace was Saved. Only one instance of an Application can be Saved in each Workspace.

If the Keyboard Maestro Library is synced across multiple Macs, one benefit of the fact that Keyboard Maestro does not sync Variables & Dictionaries is that the Workspaces will be unique to each Mac.

Extended Desktops over multiple Monitors

A Workspace can have Windows arranged over multiple Monitors.

Tabs

Only Window Positions are Saved, Tabs are ignored.

Number of Workspaces and Windows (Slots)

There can be an infinate number of Workspaces but each Workspace is limited to saving a maximum of 8 Windows. If every single Workspace is deleted the generic Workspaces A, B, C are recreated.

Version History, click to expand

Version: 6.01

โ€ข Bug fixes (Safari and Chrome Windows not saving correctly) and interface change.

Version: 5.02

โ€ข Switched over to using Keyboard Maestro 10 Subroutines Actions to make it easier for me to maintian the Macros going foward.

โ€ข Removed Option to overwrite Finder Windows if they are in an identical position to a previously saved Finder Window to simplify usage.

โ€ข Removed Option to Restore just one Window in a Workspace to simplify usage.

Version: 4.09

โ€ข Fix for AppleScript bug in macOS 12.3 which broke Keyboard Maestro's Open with Finder Action.

Version: 4.06

โ€ข Corrected typo of "minimized"

โ€ข Added Checkbox in the Save Workspace Prompt, to overwrite Finder Windows if they are in an identical position to a previously saved Finder Window in that Workspace.

Version: 4.05

โ€ข Interface Changes.

Version: 4.04

โ€ข Interface Changes.

Version: 4.03

โ€ข Replaced my Progress Bar with KM10 inbuilt Progress Bar.

โ€ข Added option to restore a single Window from the selected Workspace.

โ€ข Added an Option to Minimize other Finder Windows before Restoring Workspace.

โ€ข Interface Change for Previewing of Workspaces.

Version: 3.12 2021-11-02

โ€ข Fixed huge bug in previous version that broke Options.

Version: 3.11 2021-10-17

โ€ข Interface changes to the User Prompts to clarify when a Workspaces will be Restored and when it will be Previewed.

โ€ข Removed Auto-Postioning of User Prompts.

Version: 3.10

โ€ข Minor Interface change.

Version: 3.09

โ€ข Should work correctly on Mac Systems that are not set up with the language as English. (Before, a few of the pauses waited for certain menu items to appear and if those menu items were not in English, the Macro would pause forever).

Version: 3.08

โ€ข Added Help Button with Instructions

Version: 3.06

โ€ข Prompts now centre on screen

Version: 3.04

โ€ข More work on the Interface and fixed typos

โ€ข Added option to put Workspaces into A-Z order

Version: 2.96

โ€ข Added option to rename Workspaces

โ€ข Bug fixes

โ€ข Still more simplification of the Interface...

Version: 2.89

โ€ข A few interface changes and a couple of bugs squashed.

Version: 2.83

โ€ข Changed to allow an unlimited number of Workspaces.

โ€ข Changed to allow saving of multiple Safari or Chrome Webpages in each Workspace.

โ€ข Added Macro, "Workspaces Options..."

โ€ข Tried to simplify the interface, whilst adding more options.

โ€ข Reworked the Progress Bar to stop it vanishing and reappearing in a long Restore.

Version: 2.25 2021-07-26

โ€ข Increased number of possible saved Workspaces from 6 to 12

โ€ข If a single Workspace Name is edited, it becomes the chosen workspace (in previous versions it had to be selected again from the the dropdown list after editing which was a bit clunky)

Version: 2.23 2021-07-11

โ€ขAdded shortcut keys to the Dialog Buttons - Cancel (shortcut Esc), Edit (shortcut E), Clear Slots (shortcut C)

Version: 2.22 2021-06-25

โ€ข Simplified the Clear Workspaces Macro.

โ€ข Bug fix (removed delay at the end of the Progress Bar).

โ€ข Tidied up the display of restoring Webpages on the Progress Bar.

Version: 2.21 2021-06-24

โ€ข Added a Progress Bar to give live feedback on the Windows being Restored.

โ€ข The Progress Bar lists each Window in the Workspace as the Macro Restores and also lists any Webpages that are associated with the Workspace.

Version: 2.191 2021-06-21

โ€ข Bug fix

Version: 2.19 2021-06-18

โ€ข All saved Data from v2.17 onwards will always remain in Dictionaries so, downloading this new version will not mess up any Workspaces you might have saved.

โ€ข Some interface tidying up to make things clearer.

โ€ข Reduced timeout on Pause for Applications to open fully from 1 minute to 5 seconds as I was finding Zoom restoring caused the Macro to pause for the full 1 minute every time.

โ€ข Removed the separate Macro "Edit Workspaces" and made it a part of the other three Macros.

โ€ข Added the option to Clear Slots.

Version: 2.17 21-06-11

โ€ข Stable Version allowing Multiple Workspaces to be Saved and Restored.

โ€ข Data now mostly Saved in Dictionaries.

13 Likes

UPDATE: Latest version 2.25 uploaded to replace the link at the head of this thread.

โ€ข Increased number of possible saved Workspaces from 6 to 12
โ€ข If a single Workspace Name is edited, it becomes the chosen workspace (in previous versions it had to be selected again from the the dropdown list after editing which was a bit clunky)

(The next version will allow an unlimited number of Workspaces to be saved. But I'm still testing to make sure it is stable and backwards compatible with previous versions.)

1 Like

OMG! It's here! I've been looking for something like this for months. Looking forward to trying this out - thank you.

My favorite and most-used feature of XtraFinder was its ability to save and restore Finder sets (groups of tabs) and Finder workspaces (sets of Finder wiindows, each of which may or may not have multiple tabs). My world came crashing down when XtraFinder was not M1 compatible.

If you can wait a few days, I'm working on a new version of this. Some of the interface will be different and better - so, might be worth waiting a bit for that version :grinning:

Having said that, the new version will be backwards compatible with any data saved by the current version. The main change will be ability to save as many different Workspaces as you want, rather than limiting the number.

(The thing that takes the longest with uploading a Macro here, is checking and rechecking for bugs and writing the ReadMe file of Instructions..!)

2 Likes

Too late. I already tried it. Love it.

Some feedback that you've probably already considered, all delivered with the caveat that I have no idea how difficult or time consuming they might be to implement, so please forgive me if I'm casually asking you to move mountains:

1. Currently, adding the active folder to the most recent set involves three keypresses. (Activate macro, enter, then enter again.) Consider adding another hotkey option that would add the active folder without having to interact with the save folder dialog.

2. Currently, the macro only saves the active folder, regardless of how many other tabs are open in the active window. It would be incredible if there was an option to save all open folders, or all open tabs in the active window. (My test of the macro involved individually saving a few dozen Finder tabs, easily ~100 keypresses; doing that in one or two would be killer. I understand that the current limit on set size may be an / the obstacle.)

3. The save folder to set dialog defaults to the most recent set, with the option to use the dropdown menu to select a different destination. Currently, changing the destination works but the set contents list doesn't update.

4. It would be nice to have the option of restoring a set to its own new window. I would probably set that as my default behavior.

5. Have you considered expanding the macro to the workspace-level? Meaning save/restore for all open Finder windows, keeping track of which tabs are associated with which window. Bonus points for also remembering window position on screen.

On the chance you haven't already seen it, you might want to check out this thread. One of the scripts in the linked thread reliably retrieves the path of every open Finder tab other than searches:

tell application "Finder"
   set winList to windows
   repeat with theWin in winList
      try -- Filter-out any search windows and convert to aliases.
         set contents of theWin to (target of theWin as alias)
      on error
         set contents of theWin to 0
      end try
   end repeat
end tell

# Finish filtering
set winList to aliases of winList

Regardless of whether any of my suggestions are implemented, this absolutely rocks. Thanks again.

Glad you like it!

Of course, it's set up for my use rather than for all possible uses - but I think it's pretty flexible. And the great thing about Keyboard Maestro Macros is that you can edit them yourself and get something totally bespoke to what you want.

To save a window to the currently selected Workspace should be:

1. Click on the window to select it
  2. Press the key combination โŒƒโŒ˜S
  3. Hit Return

(The confirmation window goes on its own after a few seconds so, you don't have to close it.)

And if you ever move a Window in a Workspace to a better position you just repeat that and its new position overwrites the old positon.

You only have to save the Window positions once. After that, restoring the Workspace is really quick.

only saves the active folder, regardless of how many other tabs are open in the active window.

In my case I never use Finder Tabs - I'm just too old and ingrained in my ways, having separate Finder Windows open as I like to drag things from Window to Window. But with a bit of tinkering I'm sure you could adapt it.

For my use, I wanted to save several Finder Folders, a few Application Window positions and any single Webpage that was open (usually a particular shared Google Sheet).

Most of the Macro is taken up with the Prompts - and trying to make the process clear. The actual saving of the Data is relatively simple. It makes use of Keyboard Maestro Dictionaries where the "key" is whatever you call the Workspace.

Anyway, the next version will have a few refinements and I'll have a good read through your list to see if I can incorporate any of your ideas! :grinning:

1 Like

Just a heads up: the one time I tried restoring a workspace with all slots full the restore was fast enough that I couldn't tell what was going on with the progress bar. All I saw was a line of vertical rectangles. (I actually assumed that you were using a font I hadn't installed :stuck_out_tongue:)

I found it was useful to have a "progress bar" for the times when the restore was taking a little time (for example if Final Cut was having to be opened, which can take a long time). It lets me know stuff is happening and that the Macro is working (and keeps my hands from typing stuff while the Windows are restored). It is "simple" in the sense that it just uses native Keyboard Maestro Actions rather than a Custom HTML - and I can understand how it works so, I can maintain it!

The sub-macro "Progress Bar" gets called each time one of the Slots in a Workspace has been restored. And this sub-macro is being called Asynchronously - meaning it isn't slowing the main Macro down. As I wanted to indicate the progress with a simple text string I used ๐Ÿ€† and ๐Ÿ€ซ symbols to indicate progress - ๐Ÿ€†๐Ÿ€ซ๐Ÿ€ซ๐Ÿ€ซ๐Ÿ€ซ๐Ÿ€ซ๐Ÿ€ซ ๐Ÿ€†๐Ÿ€†๐Ÿ€†๐Ÿ€†๐Ÿ€ซ๐Ÿ€ซ๐Ÿ€ซ ๐Ÿ€†๐Ÿ€†๐Ÿ€†๐Ÿ€†๐Ÿ€†๐Ÿ€†๐Ÿ€ซ which are built into the standard Mac fonts. These symbols could be easily replaced by anything you want (even emojis) by editing the series of Actions in the Progress Bar Macro.

click to show image

For example, you could have a series of :green_circle: :green_circle: :green_circle: :green_circle: :white_circle: :white_circle: to indicate progress.

3 Likes

Hi!

thank you for this amazing macro. Personally, this is one of my favorite macros so far. The only issue which I'm experiencing is hang-ups when I add Safari or Chrome to the mix. For example, I have 6 apps in 1 workspace. Everything works well until KB tried to open Safari or Chrome window. It just hangs and I can see a moving KB icon in the menu bar and I have to cancel the macro manually. Hitting Control-Command-R second time ( or more ) make just thing worse ( rainbow wheel ).

I'm using KB Version 9.2 and macOS 11.5.1 on two machines. Both of them, same issue. Sometimes Safari windows appear but it's blank without a URL and it ignores the saved position on the screen.

From your description, I assume you can open and store multiple Safari / Chrome windows ( same as Finder ). Here again, Finder works, Safari doesn't.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Hi @roskozmos
Iโ€™m travelling at the moment but will endeavour to answer your questions properly once Iโ€™m back home (in a couple of days).

With this one - no, it only stores one Safari and one Chrome per Workspace. Iโ€™ll look into whether that is easy to change. Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s possible.

Also, Iโ€™ve done a major overhaul of the whole Macro and will be uploading it soon. It will be able to store an unlimited number of Workspaces rather than limited to the 12 of the current version. Iโ€™ve also tried to streamline the Interface.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification with Safari / Chrome windows. Also, I notice, when you save the same app to multiple workspaces and combine your macro with Mission Control, these apps keep opening on previously used Spaces (Desktops). But I'm willing to ditch Mission Control in favor of having this satisfying feeling of pixel-perfect windows on the screen each time with just the press of a button.

speaking about buttons... Is it possible to assign shortcuts to each workspace? Your macro is too complex and it's easy to get lost (at least for me). I have a small MIDI controller on my desk. Would be awesome to trigger workspaces with these MPC pads.

thanks again for your work and happy traveling!

UPDATE: Latest version 2.89 uploaded to replace the link at the head of this thread.

โ€ข Changed to allow an unlimited number of Workspaces.
โ€ข Changed to allow saving of multiple Safari or Chrome Webpages in each Workspace.
โ€ข Added Macro, "Workspaces Options..."
โ€ข Tried to simplify the interface, whilst adding more options.
โ€ข Reworked the Progress Bar to stop it vanishing and reappearing in a long Restore.

That's done for this version. But it might mean you have to manually recreate your existing Workspaces.

I couldn't recreate this. However the new version saves and restores Safari and Chrome Windows in a different way so hopefully works for you. Just one thought - it could have been the Macro taking a long time to reach a certain web address - in the new version the Progress Bar waits for each Window to be restored before moving on so, that might give a better indication of what is happening.

That was a bit of a limitation with the way Dropdown Lists work in Keyboard Maestro. I've changed the way this works in this version so that the lists always update.

I implemented this but decided it added an extra layer of complication. If you want to do this it can be done by making dedicated new Macros, each with their own shortcut keys, that set the Workspace to the one you want and then Restore their Windows. But I found that in use I never remembered which Workspace had which shortcut so it was actually quicker to just run the Restore Workspace Macro and choose the Workspace to Restore from the list.

1 Like

Hello @Zabobon ,

thanks for the update! I like the new interface changes and the ability to create even more Workspaces. Progress Bar seems to work more reliably. Unfortunately, my previous issue with Safari / Chrome windows persists.

I was messing with the interface, deleted Workspace E by mistake then was unable to change the order alphabetically ( Workspace E was last in the list ). Long story short: I deleted something else and now the interface looks a bit broken.

I tried to delete the macro group, then import it again with no success. The Macro is still broken. That makes me wondering. Maybe my problem with your macro is still there, sitting somewhere in the Application Support folder I guess, so I'm still experiencing the same issues no matter which version I'm using.

I found here on the forum that all macros are stored in "Keyboard Maestro Macros.plist" I don't want to mess with that at least I have to. Do you know what else I can try to completely delete your macro?

I did try "Revert Macros" in the "File" menu, but the problem persists.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Hi @roskozmos

As long as you only deleted things using the interface (i.e. without opening up Keyboard Maestro and deleting parts of the Macros) all you would have done is delete the data that was being stored. Even if you deleted parts of the actual Macros in Keyboard Maestro you would only have broken the Macro itself and nothing else in Keyboard Maestro.

But it is a good chance to explain how the Macro stores the data and hopefully reassure you that all can easily be fixed :blush:

As you probably know Keyboard Maestro can store bits of text data in what it calls "Variables". So, if I want to store something (like the coordinates of a Window, which is four numbers - left, top, width, height) that can be done by storing those four numbers in four "Variables". And then, when I want to retrieve that data (to restore the Window position) I can call on those Variables. I think of these Variables like little user-generated files (a bit like the way Photoshop saves and retrieves user-generated image files).

For this Group of Macros I needed to store data for each Workspace and each of its 8 Windows and Safari/Chrome Webpages etc etc and for this task I used Keyboard Maestro's "Dictionaries" which are a kind of fancy variable. Again, these Dictionaries are designed to be user-generated and edited (from within Keyboard Maestro Macros).

It is worth pointing out that none of these files or any other Keyboard Maestro should ever be edited outside of Keyboard Maestro or a Macro. Do not ever go hunting around in the Finder.

From what you have said, I think the worst you can have done is either mess up my Macro (by deleting parts of it from within Keyboard Maestro - which doesn't sound like what you've done) or mess up your saved Workspaces data (by deleting from within the Macro's interface).

That will definitely fix things if you have deleted parts of the Macro itself.

But the "data" is not stored in the Macros. It is stored as lots of numbers, in the Variables and Dictionaries and they persist.

(Again, a bit like the way uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop would not change any of the image files it had generated).

It sounds like all you have done is delete some of your Workspaces or the saved window positions in those Workspaces.

What I would do is open up my Options Macro and choose Clear Slots. Then choose the Workspace that you think you broke and Clear All its slots. Then position the windows again and resave them using the Save To Macro.

As I mention in the Notes, even deleting a Workspace name doesn't actually delete its data. It just hides the name from the list of Workspaces. So, if you wanted to change the order of the Workspaces in the list (you said you wanted them to be alphabetical) it is perfectly okay to delete all the Workspaces one by one (using the โŒซ Space option) and then type them in again one by one (using the + Workspace option). Needless to say, doing all this from the Macro interface - not by going into Keyboard Maestro itself.

And in case you are worried that these "Dictionaries" and "Variables" persist - they are the tiniest amount of data - just lists of numbers in text format. But as it is not good practice to have data hanging around that is not needed, these Macros automatically clear any data that is not needed by using "Local" and "Instance" Variables wherever possible (these only persist while the Macros are running and clear themselves out at the end of each run).

Having said all that - I will test this myself over the next days (by trying to mess things up deliberately) just to make sure it works solidly. If I find a problem, I'll upload a new version.

I actually deleted "unnamed workspace" which is last on the list.

Click to Show Image

Mac mini 2021-08-25 o 10.40.53

and after that interface looks like this

Click to Show Image

MacBook Pro 2021-08-25 o 11.22.28

Now, it seems I fixed it by recreating all Workspaces from A to L and I can see this "unnamed workspace" again on the last position. I just have to recreate my window positions again, which is ok for me.

On my second machine at work, I tried again Safari/Chrome. When macro launches one of these apps, it just stops working. When Safari/Chrome IS NOT running, then the first Safari/Chrome window will open - ignoring the saved website. If I have multiple Safari/Chrome windows in the same Workspace, just the first one works. The progress bar is still on the screen but after few minutes of waiting, I just Cancel All Macros from the menu bar.

When Safari/Chrome IS running ( without open windows ) then not even the first window will open. Macro successfully opens other apps but hangs on the slot with Safari/Chrome.

Don't know if this description can help you understand what's going on but at least I fixed the problem with the interface while writing this reply :smile:

Ah, that's very interesting and thanks for taking the time to work it out! That extra blank Workspace is a result of the list of saved Workspaces having an extra "|" at the end. The list builds up as you add more Workspaces, each separated by a "|" like:

Workspace A|Workspace B|Another Workspace|

As you add more Workspaces I had them added to the list with their name and a "|". So, adding a New Workspace would make the list:

Workspace A|Workspace B|Another Workspace|Yet Another Workspace|

To stop that extra blank Workspace being created I need make sure the list doesn't end with a "|" but should be:

Workspace A|Workspace B|Another Workspace|Yet Another Workspace

I knew that as part of my system for adding Workspaces there would always be an extra blank one at the end of the list but never realised it could cause a problem. I think it's easy to fix so I will fix that.

By the way, the generic Workspaces A, B, C etc were only meant to be a starting point. I would suggest giving your Workspaces more useful names like "Zoom Meeting" "Editing Review" based on the work they are associated with and get rid of the generic A,B,C ones.

I'm still not able to recreate this on any of my Macs (I have tried it on 4) so, I'm really not sure what is going on or why your system is different to mine. As a test I tried just adding a load of Safari and Chrome Windows and they all open really quick.

click to show image

That is of almost zero help to you. But it shows that it can work as expected. Just a hunch, but Mac OS Big Sur can deny Keyboard Maestro certain permissions to do things (like controlling specific Apps). When Keyboard Maestro first tries to do something in Safari or Mail a dialog can pop up asking for you to allow it control it. The problem with solving this kind of stuff is that it could be one of many things and it's hard to find the cause. All I can say is that what this Macro does is very simple and generic so, should just work...
Can you let me know what versions of Keyboard Maestro, Mac OS, Safari and Chrome you have?

Yeah, I've seen that before and allowed this king of pop-up windows. I've also turned on the "Full Access" setting in "Security & Privacy", also as "Accessibility" and "Screen Recording" in System Pref. for KM.

Sure.
Keyboard Maestro Version 9.2
macOS Big Sur Version 11.5.2 (20G95)
Safari Version 14.1.2 (16611.3.10.1.6)
Google Chrome 92.0.4515.159 (x86_64)

Both of my machines have Intel CPU.

sorry for stupid question but where I can rename workspaces? I remember that in previous versions there was a "Rename" button. But in v2.89 I can't find it. I know I can choose a custom name when adding a new Workspace but can't figure out how to rename existing ones. :man_facepalming:

As the names of the Workspaces are what Keyboard Maestro uses to recall the window there isnโ€™t a โ€œrenameโ€ as such. You can make an unlimited number of new ones and delete as many as you want but the window positions are linked to whatever name you originally gave the workspace.

The previous โ€œrenameโ€ feature didnโ€™t actually rename it replaced one of the 12 Workspaces with a new one.

But itโ€™s a good point that you should be able to rename and keep the data. I will do that!

In the meantime you could Restore a Workspace, make a new Workspace name and resave each window to the new named Workspace. If I were you Iโ€™d keep the A,B,C ones for a couple of days and wait for the update.

This is whatโ€™s interesting about uploading a Macro - others will use it slightly differently to me. But thatโ€™s also what makes this an interesting thing to do. :grinning:

Thanks for being the Beta tester!

Added in now for latest version 2.96

I'm going to have a look at this and see if I can work out why it works for me and not for you. I might have to ask you to run some test Macros to see if we can pinpoint what is going on.

Could you try this debugging Macro?

TEST Workspaces Safari Window Restore v001.kmmacros (33.4 KB)

It just opens this Keyboard Maestro Forum in Safari and resizes the Window to a dimension. It uses the same procedure as my Restore Macro. But it does it in steps, with a confirmation as each step completes successfully. If you run it and click "Continue" for each step it will either complete successfully or it will fail at a certain point - which might pinpoint what is not working on your system the same as mine. There are some pauses in the Restore (waiting for Safari to be fully open etc) and maybe one of these pauses is causing the macro to hang on your system. Running this test Macro on my Mac restores the Safari Window successfully.

I am beginning to suspect this might be a regional issue as this part of the Macro pauses until certain menu items are available and these Menu Items might be called something slightly different on your system. If that is the issue it will be easy to fix I think.

click to show image