Zabobon's Dynamic Workspaces v6.01

Version 3.08 adds a "Help" button with detailed instructions.

Trying to strike a balance between keeping the interface as simple as possible whilst still providing instructions on how to actually use these Macros.

Apart from bug fixes I think I'm done now.

1 Like

This was a regional language issue, that meant the Macro didn't work correctly on Macs set to a System Language other than English. It was because I had used a Menu Item to pause the Macro until Apps were fully open. I'd used "About Safari" "About Google Chrome" etc as the menu item for Keyboard Maestro to look for. But for Macs set to a different language "About" is written as something else. Anyway, fixed in the latest version 3.09 and should run correctly even if the Mac is not set to English.

I can confirm this update finally works for me. Great work!

1 Like

I'm new to KM, and running into a problem getting this dynamic workspace macro to work properly. KM 9.2, Big Sur. I've imported the ZDW macro, and I see it in the list of macros. And if I manually click on 'run', the macro will run. However, what is NOT working is launching it via hotkey. Nothing happens. I even assigned a new hotkey (i.e. command 1), and nothing.

I have successfully created another macro in KM and its hotkey works just fine. So I'm a bit baffled here as to why the default (and custom) hotkeys for ZDW don't run the macros.

Could be a stupid new user issue and probably is....but I can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @Wolf359SD

When you import a downloaded Macro or Group the Group will come in disabled (for safety reasons). You have to enable the Macro Group for any of its Macros to be triggered by hot keys.

Here are instructions:

https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/Macro_Activation

Hello there,

Thanks for the v4.04. I like the new addition "Minimize Other Finder Windows". I'm getting Stream Deck today, would love to see your macros working with Stream Deck. Probably I'll be in touch for the next couple of days :no_mouth:

Have a great day!

I have just discovered this thread and this macro set. I'm excited to try it and unfortunately that may have to wait a couple of weeks or more.

Meanwhile, I'm free-associating on the ideas.

I'm wondering how this workspace concept can be integrated with Mission Control's multiple desktop/workspace concept. I'm an avid user of multiple desktops/workspaces, I currently have 21 in use.

The best way I've found to keep track of them is a tool called CurrentKey Stats, which keeps statistics on which apps you have active in which workspaces, so you can separate Xcode work between Client 1 and Client 2, for instance. CKS allows you to assign names to Mission Controls numbered spaces, and it preserves the names when you rearrange the order of the spaces, where MC renumbers everything. By combining CKS and KBM, my most frequently used hotkey, by far, is the hotkey that takes me back to the previous desktop/workspace. So many different things can pop me over to a different desktop, sometimes intentionally and sometimes not, and being able to return to where I was has been wonderful.

There is also a free utility out there called Clarity that will save the icons on the desktop and let you swap to different sets.
[Link to a previous discussion of Clarity for switching Desktop icons sets.]

1 Like

Hi @August, that's a good question. I plan to dig into @Zabobon's macros to see how I might incorporate them.

For now, I've summarized my approach to your general question in this new thread:

Workspaces in Mission Control Desktop Spaces - Questions & Suggestions

2 Likes

The basis of this Macro Group is fairly simple and uses a combination of Keyboard Maestro's inbuilt Actions to save window coordinates to Dictionaries and then restore those Windows and their coordinates later. In the latest version 5.02 (uploaded 22-04-14 replacing version in the first post) I've started using Keyboard Maestro Subroutines which makes it a lot simpler to work out what the Macros are actually doing (by just looking at the Subroutines).

I've no idea if you could adapt to work with multiple desktops/workspaces as I never use them. But with Keyboard Maestro anything is possible! Or check out @_jims solution which is directly related to what you are looking for I think.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this!!

Is there an easy way to restore a workspace without the pop up box? Execute the macro to just always restore Workspace A, for example?

Thanks again for all your work putting this together, works like a charm.

Probably the easiest way to do this is:

First duplicate the Macro called "Restore Workspace".

Click to Show Image

Rename that duplicate Macro to something like, "Restore Workspace A". Give it a new hotkey, or whatever other trigger you want to run it. In this example I have given it the hotkey ⌃⌘A

Click to Show Image

Now, in that new Macro:

1. Disable the Action that is called "Prompt - Execute Until Conditions Met"

2. And below it add a new Set Variable Action which is set to:

Set Variable Key__Workspace
To Workspace A

Click to Show Image

So, now when you run this new Restore Workspace A Macro it will always restore Workspace A, without any prompt.

(The Prompt was basically asking you to choose a saved Workspace name and it then set the Variable Key Workspace to the name you chose.

1 Like

Darn. I was really excited to try this, but am stuck on an old MacBook Pro and macOS Sierra 10.12.6. :frowning:

Wow, this is great. I've been looking for this. This was it @_jims! Thanks again for the help and referral onto here.

1 Like