DOWNLOAD Macro File:
Zabobon's Dynamic Workspaces v5.02 Macros.kmmacros (590.0 KB)
Save and Restore Workspaces (Positions/Sizes of Windows for Finder Folders, Applications and Webpages).
Tested with Keyboard Maestro 10.0.2 and macOS Monterey 12.31 (Note - these Macros need Keyboard Maestro 10 or above to run.)
(Detailed Instructions and Version Notes are in the ReadMe file. And there is a Help button available when the Macro is running.)
During the last couple of years, I had many online meetings where I arranged several Finder Windows and Apps on my monitors and had certain Webpages open. At the end of the meeting those Windows got moved and closed and I wanted a way to Restore my nicely arranged Workspace the next time I had a similar meeting.
Basic Instructions, click to expand
Disable (or Delete) any previous Zabobon's Dynamic Workspaces Macro Group. Probably a good idea to just Disable the old Group at first in case you prefer it to the new version.
The Macro Group will come in disabled so, you will need to enable it to work.
Change the Trigger Shortcuts for the 3 main Macros to what you would like. I have them as:
⌃⌘S Save to a Workspace
⌃⌘R Restore Workspace
Position and size up to 8 open Applications and Finder Windows in a way that works well for a task. Additionally, open any URL in Safari or Chrome Website Windows and position them too (note that this Macro saves individual Window Positions - it ignore Tabs).
Once all are nicely positioned, click on the first Window that you want to save the Position/Size/Path/URL and press ⌃⌘S followed by Return to Save the Window Position/Size to the Selected Workspace. Repeat for each window you want to Save. (Click Help for detailed instructions.)
To Restore a Workspace, press ⌃⌘R followed by Return to restore the Selected Workspace. (Click Help for detailed instructions.)
Open Options directly by pressing ⌃⌘O
Or, from either Save to a Workspace or Restore Workspaces click Options
From here you can make new Workspaces with more useful names, like "Start of Week Meeting" "Edit Review" "Zoom Studio Meeting" - that sort of thing. You can also delete Workspaces, change their names, order the list of Workspace alphabetically etc.
Version History, click to expand
• Switched over to using Keyboard Maestro 10 Subroutines Actions to make it easier for me to maintian the Macros going foward.
• Removed Option to overwrite Finder Windows if they are in an identical position to a previously saved Finder Window to simplify usage.
• Removed Option to Restore just one Window in a Workspace to simplify usage.
• Fix for AppleScript bug in macOS 12.3 which broke Keyboard Maestro's Open with Finder Action.
• Corrected typo of "minimized"
• Added Checkbox in the Save Workspace Prompt, to overwrite Finder Windows if they are in an identical position to a previously saved Finder Window in that Workspace.
• Interface Changes.
• Interface Changes.
• Replaced my Progress Bar with KM10 inbuilt Progress Bar.
• Added option to restore a single Window from the selected Workspace.
• Added an Option to Minimize other Finder Windows before Restoring Workspace.
• Interface Change for Previewing of Workspaces.
Version: 3.12 2021-11-02
• Fixed huge bug in previous version that broke Options.
Version: 3.11 2021-10-17
• Interface changes to the User Prompts to clarify when a Workspaces will be Restored and when it will be Previewed.
• Removed Auto-Postioning of User Prompts.
• Minor Interface change.
• Should work correctly on Mac Systems that are not set up with the language as English. (Before, a few of the pauses waited for certain menu items to appear and if those menu items were not in English, the Macro would pause forever).
• Added Help Button with Instructions
• Prompts now centre on screen
• More work on the Interface and fixed typos
• Added option to put Workspaces into A-Z order
• Added option to rename Workspaces
• Bug fixes
• Still more simplification of the Interface...
• A few interface changes and a couple of bugs squashed.
• Changed to allow an unlimited number of Workspaces.
• Changed to allow saving of multiple Safari or Chrome Webpages in each Workspace.
• Added Macro, "Workspaces Options..."
• Tried to simplify the interface, whilst adding more options.
• Reworked the Progress Bar to stop it vanishing and reappearing in a long Restore.
Version: 2.25 2021-07-26
• Increased number of possible saved Workspaces from 6 to 12
• If a single Workspace Name is edited, it becomes the chosen workspace (in previous versions it had to be selected again from the the dropdown list after editing which was a bit clunky)
Version: 2.23 2021-07-11
•Added shortcut keys to the Dialog Buttons - Cancel (shortcut Esc), Edit (shortcut E), Clear Slots (shortcut C)
Version: 2.22 2021-06-25
• Simplified the Clear Workspaces Macro.
• Bug fix (removed delay at the end of the Progress Bar).
• Tidied up the display of restoring Webpages on the Progress Bar.
Version: 2.21 2021-06-24
• Added a Progress Bar to give live feedback on the Windows being Restored.
• The Progress Bar lists each Window in the Workspace as the Macro Restores and also lists any Webpages that are associated with the Workspace.
Version: 2.191 2021-06-21
• Bug fix
Version: 2.19 2021-06-18
• All saved Data from v2.17 onwards will always remain in Dictionaries so, downloading this new version will not mess up any Workspaces you might have saved.
• Some interface tidying up to make things clearer.
• Reduced timeout on Pause for Applications to open fully from 1 minute to 5 seconds as I was finding Zoom restoring caused the Macro to pause for the full 1 minute every time.
• Removed the separate Macro "Edit Workspaces" and made it a part of the other three Macros.
• Added the option to Clear Slots.
Version: 2.17 21-06-11
• Stable Version allowing Multiple Workspaces to be Saved and Restored.
• Data now mostly Saved in Dictionaries.