6 Months In ⇢ What I Wish I Knew on Day 1 With Keyboard Maestro

Excellent post!

+1. This is one of my favorite actions and incredibly useful once you wrap your brain around it. I only recently starting using For Each to reduce the clutter I'd written into my macros. I use Excel a lot for work, and combining For Each and Repeat lets me move both horizontally and vertically through a sheet in just a few actions. ie:

I only recently starting using this, as well, but I prefer to use it on Control+Space. I Spotlight everything I can, so I use Control+Space for Insert Action By Name, Option+Space for
MACRO: [KMFAM] Favorite Actions and Macros by @DanThomas, and Command+Space is of course Spotlight.

I use this to Call Insert Action By Name, because I try to avoid remapping default hotkeys when possible.

2 Likes

Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys… and set your Caps Lock Key to ⌃ Control. Pretty comfortable then, and almost automatic. (Also for other shortcuts.)

1 Like

I setup a simple KM macro triggered by ^A to Add Actions.
Very comfortable, and makes it consistent across all my Macs.

1 Like

I’m somewhat habituated to the cursor movement keys, even in KM Editor text fields. (⌃A brings the cursor to the beginning of the line.)

Yeah, I guess it is all in what you are used to.
I use the standard Mac shortcuts for text processing, which ⌘← to go to the beginning of a line. I make extensive use of the Control key in many of my hotkeys/shortcuts.

Great post. I would have to add to it, that once you get the rest of the basics under your hat, be sure to learn regular expressions. Months ago I finally took a week to learn and experiment with them, and they have totally changed my whole automation game. They allow you to extract pieces of text based on set of rules, or run advanced find and replace commands. Many actions in KM let you take advantage of this powerful tool.

In the beginning, I was pretty confused about using them and would spend hours trying to modify a regular expression to work that I found on the Internet. But actually sitting down and learning them from scratch usually lets me condense what would have been 5 or even way more separate actions into one, and often more reliably.

http://regexr.com Was the tool that got me figuring this stuff out with their cheat sheets and example expressions. It is my go to tool for writing a regular expression so can see how it will behave before using it in KM.

8 Likes

Highly recommended hotkey set to learn right away:

3 Likes

yessir, I have set up a bunch of (all three + letter) macros for everything related to KM now, like T for Trigger macro by name, and also, I set up (all three) plus space bar to display a large quick map of the modifier symbols and what keys they actually are, since I'm really new to using those keys and can never keep them totally straight just by their symbols (except command).

so control option command space puts this over my screen for a few seconds:

5 Likes

Is this a UI you built or one of the included options? I use KeyCue and I also have Picture in Picture selected in Accessibility and I note it's coming up when I press CONTROL+OPTION+COMMAND. (new discovery!) so I may have to modify to use this choice. Explain a little deeper if you don't mind. :wink:

"Display Text Large". I had to look it up. Never saw a use for it - now I do!

1 Like

I found several options for display text in menus and the action list. Where is it?

“Display Text”, then it’s one of the options. I’m going to add a separate action for this using my KMFAM macros, so I don’t forget. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah! Ok. Got it. So is this an action, menu, or preference?

Action.

I suggest you to look into Karainber and sticky keys as I myself had trouble twisting and remembering all these hotkeys.

Being able to rebind everything yourself and have the modifier keys be right there on your keyboard letters is a really huge productivity boost. Plus there is a ton of freedom making the hotkeys work for you rather than against you. :smiley:

1 Like

Well done John!

I'm with Dan – I've rarely used Display Large Text – but this sort of application gives me a reason to rethink its value.

-Chris

1 Like

Great post and I’m in that first couple weeks of using KM but still quite unsure why or how to use it. I have some time this week so will try to figure some things out with your post, and I guess what I’ve learned is to ask questions of the forum or describe what I’m trying to do. Thank you for the post.

Welcome to Keyboard Maestro! It is the best Mac automation tool I have ever used.

However, you may be misled by its name.
KM suffers from a name ("Keyboard") that immediately causes the potential user/customer to think it is very limited, when in fact it is quite broad:

• Text Expansion -- Provides extensive text expansion capability, from simple text substitution to complex snippet generation using scripts and user interaction
  • App Launcher -- from simple to complex (think of using @DanThomas' search macros)
  • Workflow Designer -- from a few simple steps to very complex, multi-macro, multi-scripts
    • Built-in integration with all Mac scripting languages
  • Web Page Control and Data Extraction -- From simple page display to auto-fill of online forms to scraping of data both visible to the user and hidden in the HTML code.
    • Built-in integration with access to and control of Safari and Google Chrome
  • Custom Web Applet (i.e. HTML Prompt)

If you, or anyone, has any questions about how to use KM for the above objectives, please feel free to ask.

Getting Started with Keyboard Maestro

• Read the Quick Start.
    • This is essential to become familiar with KM terminology
  • Do the tutorial (Help ➤ Tutorial) in the KM Editor.
    • Gives you a live walkthrough of creating a macro in the KM Editor
  • Review/Browse the Available Macro Actions
  • For Help with an Action in your Macro, click on the gear icon at the top right of the Action, and select "Help"
  • Start small, and grow your macros organically.
  • Be prepared for some trial and error in the beginning.
  • Make good use of this Keyboard Maestro Forum
    • Search for existing macros
    • Post your questions/issues if you get stuck
2 Likes

@jdevaud For some (basic) examples of what @JMichaelTX has mentioned:

kind:folder.kmmacros (1.4 KB)

I use this macro to type kff which expands into kind:folder.
This lets me type kff dog in spotlight and get kind:folder dog, and jump straight to the folder with pictures of my dog, instead of every file with "dog" in the title or contents.

Launch Boom 2 w: Spotify.kmmacros (2.0 KB)
Quit Boom 2 w: Spotify.kmmacros (1.8 KB)

I use these two macros to automatically launch and quit Boom 2 whenever I launch or quit Spotify.

Paypal Partial Refund.kmmacros (2.9 KB)

I use this macro to avoid accidentally refunding an entire transaction through Paypal, instead of the partial refund I had intended.

There are better and more complex examples for each, but these are some very minor ones that make my life much easier/better. That Paypal one would've paid for Keyboard Maestro several times over if I had thought of it before needing it :unamused: :wink:

1 Like

Great ideas. I use KM a ton to do a zillion things, and one that’s helped a lot is being able to automate mouse movements and/or get around using the mouse so much, to save my poor carpel tunnel wrist. I post to social media a lot, and grabbing gifs from websites was literally killing me. Now I can do it with macros through various means.