A conflict between Sequoia and Keyboard Maestro?

The problem identified in this article could be a major problem for all KM users, right? This is a pop-up that will occur weekly (some people say daily) if you have an app that requires screen reading permission. KM requires that permission for many of its functions (as the article itself indicates!!)

As for me, I'm usually sitting in front of my computer when KM is running, so this wouldn't annoy me too much, but if this pop-up window appears a lot, and if people need KM to keep running autonomously, then this could be a serious problem,... and a reason to never install Sequoia.

KM is really important to me, and so right now I'm considering not installing Sequoia when it comes out, or ever.

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? I don't think KM can click the buttons on that prompt, can it? Wouldn't it require screen reading permissions to detect if that prompt is there?

1 Like

The beta is no longer covered by an NDA ?

I know what an NDA is, but I'm not sure why you are asking me? I'm just quoting a public article.

To quote the article:

These aspects may change during the beta

And to quote Ecclesiastes 3:1

There's a time for everything.

Yes, and the article also says:

some developers are saying that Apple has confirmed that it is a new security feature.

1 Like

Public Beta is now out, and not covered. Developer Betas still are (though that doesn't seem to stop people talking about them!).

It'll be an annoyance. But it'll be more of a problem for people remote desktopping into headless servers and similar, so I very much expect there will be either a way to turn this off or to change it to a notification (however in your face) rather than a "blocking" dialog.

1 Like

Or people like me who may have macros run overnight or while I'm out at a restaurant for dinner.

You are very optimistic. But if my fears are correct, I may have to choose between Sequoia or KM.

It is actually covered. From Apple's public beta page:

However, it's pretty obvious Apple knows that will never be followed, given anyone at all can download it, and they've never gone after anyone (that I've heard of) for posting about it. But it isn't technically allowed.

-rob.

My bad, and thanks for the correction. Note to self for next year: Read the documentation!

Luckily for me, being on AppleSeed I assume everything I see is NDA...

That's a problem, sure. Annoying, but relatively easily solved the next morning or when you get home.

Not so easy when you've headless Macs in a data centre a hundred miles away. And pity someone like MacStadium, hosting thousands of Macs with VMs -- weekly tickets to OK that dialog across 10s of thousands of VMs will be a killer.

I get what Apple is trying to do for "normal" users, but this is going to get huge push-back from enterprise so I suspect there will be at least an MDM profile and/or a defaults command to grant permission on a per app (and possibly per account) basis.

1 Like

Yes! Unfortunately, it means several hours of hard work that I wanted my Mac to do autonomously will have been lost forever. I get my Mac to perform lots of work all night long and when I'm away from home. So if this is a new feature of Sequioia, I may have to choose between Sequoia or Keyboard Maestro.

1 Like

Install the beta software only on non-production devices

Apple Beta — FAQ

Sure. But I was thinking from an Apple POV -- our use cases are a fraction of a fraction of a percent of their "consumer" users and will likely be ignored, but complaints from Enterprise customers unable to to properly manage vast numbers of Macs will get their attention. And, hopefully, we'll be able ride on their coat tails.

Great point. You're making me feel hopeful.

I run with SIP turned off (for TotalFinder). I wonder (hope) that with SIP turned off, this dialog will not be invoked. :crossed_fingers:

Thanks for that tip. I hadn't heard about that. Here's a link for others who don't know about it.

When Sequoia is released, I will wait to see if disabling this feature can fix the problem (if any problem exists) before installing Sequoia.

The costs of that approach are fairly high:

Disabling and Enabling System Integrity Protection | Apple Developer Documentation

Warning

Disable SIP only temporarily to perform necessary tasks, and reenable it as soon as possible. Failure to reenable SIP when you are done testing leaves your computer vulnerable to malicious code.

True, but so is the cost of training users to dismiss security prompts without reading or understanding them. This protocol by Apple will do that.

Adam Engst expresses it better than me:
TidBITS: macOS 15 Sequoia’s Excessive Permissions Prompts Will Hurt Security