A shortcut to pause all the running macro

Is there a keyboard shortcut or function to pause running macro? My use case scenario is as follows: when a macro is running, it may have several "found image on screen" actions, and I cannot touch my computer while the macro is running. If I receive an urgent message on software like Skype that requires a prompt response, I would need to "Cancel all macros". I'm wondering if there is a feature that allows me to "Pause all macros" and then "Continue all paused macros" once I have finished responding to the message. Thank you.

No, there's no way to 'pause all macros' Edit: See @Airy's solution below.

One thing to bear in mind is that found image actions should usually be considered a last resort when other methods of detecting states/changes/locations/etc are impossible or impractical.

You may be able to adapt the macro in question to work reliably without having to remain completely hands-off during its run. Perhaps you could give some more detail about it and we could see if that's possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is a way. You simply click on the KM Engine icon in the menu, then click on "Start Debugging." It will pause all macros, open the KM Debugger, and if you used the checkbox "Pause New Macros" then it will also pause all new macros.

In fact, you should be able to create a macro that clicks on the KM Engine icon, then press S twice and then press Enter. So it should not require any mouse movements to pause all macros.

3 Likes

I stand corrected. That's a good suggestion. :+1:t3:

I’ll do you one better... just have a macro that toggles the debugger window because it pauses all running macros by default. Once it’s closed, all paused macros then finish executing. :wink:

EDIT: In my macro’s comment I say that the menu item option does not pause running macros, but it actually does. That’s my mistake. But the action still might be a better option since you don’t have to fiddle with “clicking” menu bar items.

Download Macro(s): Pause running macros.kmmacros (3.2 KB)

Macro-Image

Macro-Notes
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
    • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
    • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.
System Information
  • macOS 13.6
  • Keyboard Maestro v11.0
1 Like

I guarantee you I tested that yesterday, but I only tested it with the Debugger Start action not the Debug Toggle action. The Debug Start action does pause running macros. And that's odd, because the similarly named "Start Debugging" action in the KM menu DOES NOT pause running macros. Two things with the same name doing opposite things. That doesn't seem right. My suggestion is that the one in the KM Menu be renamed "Debug Toggle" because that's what it does, and then you could also add a Debugger Start menu item to the KM menu which should do what the Debug Start action does. Make sense?

EDIT: I fixed the above, I had to swap a "does" and "does not", and I added the word "running" for clarity.

I'm not by my mac right now but I think it might be because you need to tick the box in the Debugger window that pauses macros. #totalguess

I made a typo in my paragraph. I'll go edit it and I will underline the change.

I added the word "running" because I'm talking only about existing running macros, not new ones.