Ableton LIVE Plug-in Windows

Hi,

Just started testing KM to help with tasks in LIVE.

One of the first things I want to do is move a Plug-in window to a second monitor.

I have tried using several techniques including “the window with title” and “windows with title containing” but it does not even recognize the Plug-In window. It gives the following error:
Action Failed. Manipulate window action could not find application in macro “Move Plug-in window to …”

While testing, I used “the window with title” and “windows with title containing” and applied these to the main application, i.e. LIVE, and they work and move it successfully.

I also tried to simplify and just center the Plug-in window on my main screen (not even trying a second screen) and it did not work. It gave the Error message as above.

But I simply want to move “only” the Plug-in window to a second monitor.

I am a DIY guy and I have spent a night searching the forum for macros that might help and trying a lot of things but I think it is time to ask for help. Please help!

How do I get KM to work with only the Plug-in window.

Any suggestions for a possible direction to pursue are welcome.

{Any LIVE users out there that might have already done this?}

Hey There,

Keyboard Maestro doesn’t see floating windows (as you’ve discovered the hard way).

To manage them you’ll have to resort to AppleScript and System Events.

Run this from the Script Editor app:

tell application "System Events"
   tell application process "Ableton LIVE"
      name of windows
   end tell
end tell

You may need to adjust the name of YOUR app if it is different than what I used.

Plug-in windows may or may NOT have a name. They might just have a window ID, so you may need to look more comprehensively.

tell application process "Ableton LIVE"
      properties of windows
   end tell
end tell

Here’s now you move an application window with System Events.

tell application process "TextEdit"
      tell window 1
         set position to {0, 200}
      end tell
   end tell
end tell

If you search the forum for:

“window System Events”

You’ll find a pot-load of examples.

DON’T bang your head against the wall for more than an hour or so.

If you have problems figuring it out report back, and we’ll help some more.

There may not be anyone on the forum who’s using Live and can test with that exact software. It’s harder to advise people when you cannot yourself test what they are doing, but we usually muddle through.

-Chris

2 Likes

Great! What a quick reply.

i will try out your suggestions.

Thanks for helping.

1 Like