Adding a Favorite Action in KM 10 – My Workflow

Thanks Peter! Do the keywords have to be in a comment that is part of the favorite actions? In Dan's method you can add keywords while adding an action to the favorite list, without having to add them in the actions themselves...

You're right! My apologies, I realize now I didn’t explain myself well earlier. To replace an existing action you have to type the exact same name which brings me back to my earlier stated issue of having a crappy memory and not remembering what I named certain actions. :laughing: With Dan's method you can select a favorite from a dropdown list to replace.

I would edit my initial reply but that might cause confusion down the road to folks who are reading this so I'll leave it as is with a link to this comment.

1 Like

No, the actions are searched just like macros are searched, so the text can appear anywhere (except when testing this I discovered the Notes are not searched, which would be the obvious place to put keywords, so I will fix that, probably for the next version and then you can just put keywords in the Notes - you can add the Keywords in the Notes now, just the search won't work until I fix that).

3 Likes

I feel like an idiot asking this, but what "Notes"?

Son of a... :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:By the way, I searched the Wiki for "notes" and it didn't return anything, although with my track record lately, who knows?

@DanThomas & @cdthomer times an idea, since the note possibility shown by @peternlewis can only be set for individual actions within a macro.

I mark my macro group or a macro with a callout icon.
I enter my notes etc. in Drafts or also Craft. Then my note is linked to the app Hook.

The advantage with linking to Hook is that I can add any number of links (web page, screenshots, etc.) to my note after the fact

Video

1 Like

I'm confused, but it's probably because my mind is busy trying to figure out other things right now. So I'll just say "Hey, that's cool!" for now. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That's how I feel most times I see the awesome macros you, @appleianer, @ccstone, @Sleepy, @tiffle and many others on here post :laughing:

Thanks @peternlewis for that Notes screenshot, that's a feature I had completely missed.

4 Likes

@cdthomer, @DanThomas & @peternlewis here is an example of how I add notes to a favorite action via the Craft app (deep link).

The notes remain even if the favorite action is used later. By coloring the action, I know that there is a note in Craft's for the favorited action.

Here is an example:

Video

03)Add <FBAD 211120T150932>.kmmacros (14,2 KB)

01)View <E108 211120T151649>.kmmacros (16,5 KB)

01)View <E108 211120T151649>

1 Like

You mentioned my name in that list! This is how I feel about that...

3 Likes

Haha good old Get Smart. I used to love watching the original series when I was a kid.

Me too. I even ended up with a similar job (very broadly speaking.)

Have you ever noticed that they (Get Smart original series) intentionally break continuity sometimes? For instance, there was one episode where Max was fighting someone next to a piano with a big vase of flowers on it. Switch to a close-up and they're rolling across the piano which miraculously doesn't have the vase, then back to a wide shot and the vase is back! Absolutely hilarious!

1 Like

Peter,

Will be good too to indicate where the search is matched (maybe show icon to indicate by macro Name, Content or Note).

I thinking if we start to put more things into note and note become searchable, is the search going to end up with more false positive if one just want to search by macro name and content only.

We have a fair amount of control over what is searched.

manual:Search Strings [Keyboard Maestro Wiki]

@peternlewis – perhaps it would be worth adding a note: search string?

I might be inclined to use notes more if that became a reality.

-Chris

1 Like

This is unlikely.

10.0.2 will search for Notes.

The I also added the note: Search String.

So you can find all actions with any note by searching for note: or you can search for a specific keyword in a Note field with note:keyword.

5 Likes

It feels like these Notes can function like Tags which should make a large collection of Favorite Actions much easier to search without having to give the Favorites very long names.

Is there any way to edit a Favorite Action's notes after it has been created without opening it in a Macro, adding the Notes and Resaving it instead of the original as a Favorite? I'm just asking before I go and open and resave all the Favorite Actions I've made, which is the only way I can see to do this.

You cannot edit the favorites once they are saved. You can insert the Favorite action(s) somewhere, then make changes, then add them as favorites, use the same name and overwrite the favorite.

2 Likes

Sorry, your reply overlapped with me re-typing my question. But that answers it. Thanks!

In future, I'll get into the habit of adding notes (tags) when I initially save the Favorite Action.

TIP: I've found that if I want to give the Favorite Action a Custom name (rather than just letting it be named what Keyboard Maestro decides) it is best to change the name of the Action before saving it as a Favorite (Actions/Rename...) rather than typing in a Custom Name during the save Favorite Process.

This way, resaving it becomes much quicker as the default Favorite assigned save name is whatever the Action is called.

And if I don't rename the Action before saving it as a Favorite it's best to stick to the assigned Action name rather than renaming it, as again that makes it easier to overwrite it later if I edit it and want to resave.

I'm thinking that as the Notes can (soon 10.0.2) be used as Tags there's not a great need to come up with custom names anyway.

1 Like