Adding macros to Apple LaunchPad

I find the five finger pinch gesture on a trackpad to be very reliable and easy for evoking Apple's LaunchPad. Looking to add items beyond apps I've seen suggestions for using Automator to create apps that then can be added to the Apps folder to show up in the LaunchPad.

Can I save KM macros either individually or as macro groups, as files to launch that I can use Automator to wrap as an app for inclusion in LaunchPad?

Other pathways to get macro's into LaunchPad are of course welcome!

Here's an example that didn't work: https://www.reddit.com/r/osx/comments/3gwtzy/add_shortcut_to_files_in_launchpad/

1 Like

You don't need Automator... just open The AppleScript editor and enter:

ignoring application responses
	tell application "Keyboard Maestro Engine"
		do script "MacroName"
	end tell
end ignoring

Then save it as an app into /Applications

If you are looking for a way to launch/trigger KM macros by name, then I'd suggest:

1. Use the built-in KM Action Trigger Macro by Name action
    OR, even better
  2. MACRO: Execute Macro by Name (Spotlight) by @DanThomas

For launching apps, web pages, files, folders, KM macros, and much more, I'd suggest:
LaunchBar.

LB even includes custom actions that you can write in AppleScript, JavaScript, and other languages to do whatever you want.
Highly recommended.

Brilliant, perfect, thanks!! :clap:t2:

Why is the “ignoring” command needed?

On the aesthetic side, what are the perimeters for an icon I'd paste into the app's info window to get a good looking icon to show up in the LaunchPad window?

Hey Indy,

Great suggestions, thank you! I looked at it and...

I'm going for very individual personal preference of having a highly visual and kinesthetic access to certain types of calls for actions. The ease and feel of the trackpad gesture is very attractive and to ME, a much nicer experience then typing. After that great, simple, reliable gesture there's this very nicely displayed set of good looking options to pick from by just clicking on them. No memory needed! Talk about being served on a silver platter! This to me is a very attractive way to get something to happen which I will see how far I can push...

With that said, I'll bet dimes to dollars that some other folks will absolutely HATE with a passion evoking actions using such a visual kinesthetic pathway. That the lack of detailed, granular specificity and range that Dan's way brilliantly provides is a total dealbreaker.

Sometime I want or need the granularity and range that a visual/kino interface does not provide. It really depends on the task at hand. For example, moving an object pixel by pixel in Affinity Designer works well as keystroking the arrow keys better than clicking an onscreen set of arrows. For more general broader actions like "going to a location" which I consider launching apps/websites or opening docs/folders to be, picking from and clicking on large, clear, pretty icons can't be beat or so I think :wink:.

Thanks again for your ongoing generous, thoughtful, instructive and highly useful support. I very much appreciate you.

It isn't.

Then why include it?

Force of habit.

Tricksy hobbits! :wink:

This is a good example of where Dash is useful:

Permits a script to continue without waiting for an application to respond to commands that target it.

Ahhh, Excellent! Will have to develop a practice to refer to it. TY!