You may not want to update just yet (I am not updating) to the latest macOS Mojave Security Update 2020-005. I highly recommend that you read the entire above article by Mr. Macintosh.
For Catalina users, see
- What has changed in macOS Catalina 10.15.7.
- ALERT❗Before You Update to macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Read This
From the above link:
What this means is that you can install the Mojave 2020-005 Security update WITHOUT Safari 14.0 and not have any issues. You can even Install Safari 14.0 after and not have any issues. It’s only when you install Safari 14.0 first then install 2020-005 after when the problems start! I will continue to test this and post updates.
What are the reported problems with this update?
- Memory issues – Reports of large increases of memory usage = no free memory and a large amount of compressed memory.
- Slow boot & High fan speed
- System slowness / stalling in finder
- New local user can not be created through Users & Groups.
- Migration assistant crashes to login window when started.
- Large amounts of system.log entries – Class asn1SetToken is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/StoreServices.framework/Versions/A/StoreServices
- Errors when using tmutil localsnapshot /
- Error when running softwareupdate -l (not sure if it causes any issues with the softwareupdate binary)
- System locks up in Desktop & Screen Saver > Screen Saver when trying to select a picture type screen saver.
- WindowServer Process using 4 times amount of memory. Should be anywhere between 40-125MB after the update it jumps to 400MB
- cDock 4 – Dock customization app becomes unusable.
- Menu bar sometimes does not change after switching from applications back to the finder.
JIC you didn't know (I didn't) you can get a list of software updates already installed on your Mac from this command line:
I prefer to run this using a BBEdit Shell Worksheet.
Turns out I have NOT installed this (2020-005) update. So I will NOT for now.