Any way to copy "Favorites" Action Category from one computer to another?

Hey guys,

I wanted to find out if there is anyway to be able to copy the favorites action category from one computer to another. I want to be able to quickly access all the favorites that I have from one computer on any other computer that I use Keyboard Maestro and my account on.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or guidance on this and how to achieve copying this folder from my main computer to another computer.

Much appreciated.

I believe you are talking about the KM Editor's "Favourite actions." I believe the KM Editor stores all its configuraiton data in "~/Library/Application Support/Keyboard Maestro". I just looked in that folder to see if I can find a file called "Favorites" but I saw no such file.

So I used the KM Editor to create a new favourite, and checked the time stamp on each file in that folder. I've narrowed it down to one of five files. I would say the most likely one is:

Keyboard Maestro Macros.plist

This file appears to be an sqlite database file, so text editors won't work on it. The only app that can probably read that file is the KM Editors app, but it doesn't seem to have an Export option for Favourites.

I'm guessing that the reason this option doesn't exist is because it is not true that each copy of KM on different machines has the same list of actions. Maybe your machines all have the exact same actions, but that won't be the case for everyone, so it could result in errors when Importing.

Have a look at this thread for some ideas on how you could do this. If you haven't got too many then popping them into a/some macros, exporting those, importing them onto the target machine, then re-favoriting the actions is probably easiest.

If you've got macro syncing turned on then you don't even need to export/import.

1 Like

The Favorites are stored with the macros in the Keyboard Maestro Macros.plist, but it is not an SQL database, it is a binary plist (a binary formatted plist, where a plist is a specifically structured XML file).

People should not edit the file while the Keyboard Maestro Engine or editor is running.

1 Like