“Apple Notes Export to Bear” Macro

Apple Notes Export to Bear” Macro

Includes Title, headings, links, text format, lists, images, and even files. :grinning:

Apple Notes Export to Bear.kmmacros (20.3 KB)

How to use:

Set Notes' Preferences to Sort notes by: Date Edited or by: Date Created

1. Close all other apps and do not use your Mac while this macro is running.
  2. Open Notes and select a folder (or all folders for all in one tag import).
  3. Run this macro from Keyboard Maestro's status menu
  4. Set Bear tag at prompt with folder name (or whatever).

Repeat for each of Notes’ foldes you like to export/import to Bear
Macro can be interrupted by holding down the ⌘ key for two seconds or so.

See also: Bear Power Pack

Issues

• It uses copy/paste as rich text and will take some time to complete.
    (maybe 20-60 notes/minute depending on number/size of images/files in notes)
  • Make sure you are NOT inside Notes' Recently Deleted-folder when starting.
    (macro not able to exit this folder! ;(
  • Ordered lists starts at 0. and need to be changed to 1. manually.
    Only need to change first item, the rest will then be automatically numbered by Bear :slight_smile:
  • Notes’ Title and Heading becomes H2 and Monospaced style becomes H3 in Bear

Hello,

I have made the update to the macro in my own download to adjust for the changes in the Menu for import. However, the folders will not import and I get this message:

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

I am seeing an issue trying this macro. Here is a screenshot of the error (Macro Canceled).

I've used this just now, but I replaced the Command-J actions with appropriate menu actions to create a new note in Apple Notes and Bear respectively. I don't know why Command-J was being used, but it doesn't do the right thing for me.

I also disabled the "if holding command down, then abort" action as it was triggering for some reason even while not attempting to hold command down.

I also had to manually copy a couple of images from notes in Apple Notes to Bear as this macro uses "Paste as Rich Text" which unfortunately strips out any inline images from Apple Notes.

Has anyone found a way to modify this in order to export Apple Notes to rtf/rtfd?

I'm not sure I'd bother to modify it. Just use it, and then go to Bear.app and use File > Export Notes. There is an option in the export options to use RTF as the export format from Bear.

@vincent_ardern If I don't want to hotkey this, would I just 'Try' at the bottom? (There was another KM macro where I had to copy text from my last Note. Do I need to do anything like that with this?

Finally got this to kind of run. The problem for me with notes going into Bear, markdown doesn't support, or at least Bear doesn't support, colored text. I have many notes where I've highlighted a section in red. So, the export to rtf means all those notes have to be re-done.