AppTranslocation Security is active, this will cause problems

Hi

i get this error message all the time after latest KM upgrade in version (also moved from trial to full version if that maters).
AppTranslocation Security is active, this will cause problems

what does it mean?

i did make sure the km app is in the Applications folder as instructed and restarted as instructed

any clue?

Z

Hey Z,

Try running “Assistance” from the Keyboard Maestro Help menu.

Also try running the Activity Monitor app and looking for translocated apps.

Here's a tidbit on translocation:

App Translocation (Sierra & High Sierra)

-Chris

See: Translocation Problem assistance (which should be referenced from the warning dialog as well).

Hi

i tried both this

• Quit Keyboard Maestro and Keyboard Maestro Engine.

• If Keyboard Maestro.app is already in the Applications folder, using the Finder move it somewhere else.

• Using the Finder, move the Keyboard Maestro.app to the Applications folder.

• Launch Keyboard Maestro

• Turn on Launch Engine at Login Keyboard Maestro preference (if desired).

and this

xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine "/Applications/Keyboard Maestro.app"

yet i still cant get rid of the error. im running latest KM and latest Mojave

best

Z

Hey Z,

Install BBEdit, and install it's command line tools from the BBEdit menu.

(The BBEdit demo will revert to lite mode after 30 days, but even in lite mode BBEdit is far more powerful and scriptable than most text editors.)

Then run this macro.

Translocated Application Detector with Output to BBEdit v1.00 .kmmacros (5.6 KB)

See if it finds any translocated apps. If so then please post the path of same.

-Chris

thx @ccstone

here is the partial output of the macro you kindly supplied

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Translocated Applications NOT Found.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PID USER             COMMAND
1 root             /sbin/launchd
   43 root             /usr/sbin/syslogd
   44 root             /usr/libexec/UserEventAgent (System)
   47 root

Hey Z,

Hmm...

Have you tried looking in the Activity Monitor for Translocated apps?

-Chris

hmmm im looking at the activity monitor now, how can i tell there if an app is translocated?

Double click on the entry and look at the Open Files. It will show you where the application code is. For Keyboard Maestro, it should be something like:

/Applications/Keyboard Maestro.app/Contents/MacOS/Keyboard Maestro
/Applications/Keyboard Maestro.app/Contents/MacOS/Keyboard Maestro Engine.app/Contents/MacOS/Keyboard Maestro Engine

It will be pretty obvious if they are translocated, they will have a path containing Translocation, or starting in /tmp, /var or /private.

The Legacy Color Picker Extensions are weird too, I would look at finding and removing any old color pickers on your system.

thx @peternlewis for the answers. again im new to the mac so I apologise for being slow :smiley:

this is the output of the open file on the KM entry

Output information may be incomplete.
 assuming "dev=34000018" from mount table
cwd
/
txt
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A9EA0683-5324-4C97-A171-6314024309F5/d/Keyboard Maestro.app/Contents/MacOS/Keyboard Maestro
txt
/Library/Preferences/Logging/.plist-cache.W3Hmqcr6
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/SystemAppearance.car
txt
/private/var/db/timezone/tz/2018i.1.0/icutz/icutz44l.dat
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/SFNSText.ttf
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/Assets.car
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/VibrantLightAppearance.car
txt
/usr/lib/dyld
txt
/usr/share/icu/icudt62l.dat
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/Times.ttc
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/SFNSSymbols-Regular.otf
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.ttc
txt
/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/DisplaysPrefIcon.tiff
txt
/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Notifications.prefPane/Contents/Resources/NotificationsPref.tiff
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/ArialHB.ttc
txt
/Library/Caches/com.apple.iconservices.store/9C514207-3547-1EF4-DEEC-0B71954BAD50.isdata
txt
/Library/Caches/com.apple.iconservices.store/CF3CD428-270D-5CE3-7269-6FAED57C9B92.isdata
txt
/Library/Caches/com.apple.iconservices.store/09269E80-E366-8437-522A-56F45E21629F.isdata
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/SFCompactText-Regular.otf
txt
/Library/Caches/com.apple.iconservices.store/1C81F6C6-BAA2-8E8F-2E74-529D0333E2E6.isdata
txt
/Library/Caches/com.apple.iconservices.store/E138FC12-90EC-9AB7-C2E1-2F294629F7D2.isdata
txt
/Library/Caches/com.apple.iconservices.store/9E67E324-726B-25F6-359C-2B215BA7C2DE.isdata
txt
/Library/Fonts/Apple Chancery.ttf
txt
/Library/Caches/com.apple.iconservices.store/5006554F-4205-7FD5-D676-3B1CEEB25B47.isdata
txt
/Library/Caches/com.apple.iconservices.store/366703F0-BE25-0D28-0C1E-51567F9F5546.isdata
txt
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/C/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor/com.apple.metal/3902/libraries.data
txt
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/C/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor/com.apple.metal/Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 655/functions.data
txt
/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache.le.kbdx
txt
/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle/Contents/Resources/AppleKeyboardLayouts-L.dat
txt
/usr/lib/libobjc-trampolines.dylib
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/FunctionRowAppearance.car
txt
/Users/zeltak/Library/Caches/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor/Cache.db-shm
txt
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/C/com.apple.scriptmanager2.le.cache
txt
/Library/MessageTracer/SubmitDiagInfo.default.domains.searchtree
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/Resources/Assets.car
txt
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/C/com.apple.iconservices/store.index
txt
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreNLP.framework/Versions/A/Resources/tokruleLE.data
txt
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DataDetectorsCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/com.apple.datadetectorscore.cache.urlifier.system
txt
/usr/share/langid/langid.inv
txt
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/0/com.apple.LaunchServices-231-v2.csstore
/dev/null
/dev/null
/dev/null
/Users/zeltak/Library/Caches/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor/Cache.db
/Users/zeltak/Library/Application Support/Keyboard Maestro/Keyboard Maestro Variables.sqlite
/Users/zeltak/Library/Application Support/Keyboard Maestro/Keyboard Maestro Dictionaries.sqlite
/Users/zeltak/Library/Application Support/Keyboard Maestro/Keyboard Maestro By Name Sort Order.sqlite
->0x42fad49723cbc441
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreImage.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ci_stdlib.metallib
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreImage.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ci_filters.metallib
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/C/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor/com.apple.metal/3902/libraries.maps
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/C/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor/com.apple.metal/3902/libraries.data
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/C/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor/com.apple.metal/Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 655/functions.maps
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/C/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor/com.apple.metal/Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 655/functions.data
/Users/zeltak/Library/Caches/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor/Cache.db-wal
/Users/zeltak/Library/Caches/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor/Cache.db-shm
/Users/zeltak/Library/Saved Application State/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor.savedState/data.data
/Users/zeltak/Library/Saved Application State/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor.savedState/windows.plist
/Users/zeltak/Library/Saved Application State/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor.savedState/window_1.data

and the Engine

Output information may be incomplete.
 assuming "dev=34000018" from mount table
cwd
/
txt
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A9EA0683-5324-4C97-A171-6314024309F5/d/Keyboard Maestro.app/Contents/MacOS/Keyboard Maestro Engine.app/Contents/MacOS/Keyboard Maestro Engine
txt
/Library/Preferences/Logging/.plist-cache.W3Hmqcr6
txt
/usr/lib/dyld
txt
/usr/share/icu/icudt62l.dat
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/SystemAppearance.car
txt
/private/var/db/timezone/tz/2018i.1.0/icutz/icutz44l.dat
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/Assets.car
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/VibrantLightAppearance.car
txt
/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache.le.kbdx
txt
/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle/Contents/Resources/AppleKeyboardLayouts-L.dat
txt
/usr/lib/libobjc-trampolines.dylib
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/FunctionRowAppearance.car
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/Resources/Assets.car
txt
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/SFNSText.ttf
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.ttc
txt
/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBLib.bundle/Contents/MacOS/IOUSBLib
txt
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/C/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine/com.apple.metal/3902/libraries.data
txt
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/C/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine/com.apple.metal/Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 655/functions.data
txt
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/0/com.apple.LaunchServices-231-v2.csstore
/dev/null
/dev/null
/dev/null
/Users/zeltak/Library/Application Support/Keyboard Maestro/Keyboard Maestro Variables.sqlite
/Users/zeltak/Library/Application Support/Keyboard Maestro/Keyboard Maestro Dictionaries.sqlite
/Users/zeltak/Library/Application Support/Keyboard Maestro/Keyboard Maestro By Name Sort Order.sqlite
*:*
->0x42fad4975c7b61e9
->0x42fad4975c7b6509
->0x42fad4975c7b5ba9
->0x42fad4975c7b65d1
[event 1:6:1]
->0x42fad49723cbc441
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreImage.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ci_stdlib.metallib
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreImage.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ci_filters.metallib
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/C/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine/com.apple.metal/3902/libraries.maps
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/C/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine/com.apple.metal/3902/libraries.data
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/C/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine/com.apple.metal/Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 655/functions.maps
/private/var/folders/hv/6s4f153s4gbbtmmmzkzbb7br0000gn/C/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine/com.apple.metal/Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 655/functions.data

also there seems to be a color picker entry only when KM is active

I have no clue what to do with this info, can anyone point me in the right direction?

best

Z

Hey Z,

Well, the Keyboard Maestro Editor and Engine are both clearly translocated, and it looks like my detector macro doesn't work on Mojave...

I'll bet you haven't given the Terminal and/or Bash full-disk-access privileges for Mojave.

Fix Terminal “Operation not permitted” Error in MacOS Mojave

If you haven't then running xattr command won't do diddly...

(This nonsense is new, and I'm still running macOS Sierra 10.12.6 – so I can't test directly.)

-Chris

thx @ccstone i really appreciate your help

i did as suggested (ie gave term full disc access and reran the command) but still get the translocated error :smiley:

best

Z

Hey Z,

You did quit the Keyboard Maestro Editor and Engine first – yes?

-Chris

yes i did ofc thx @ccstone

Hmm...

Have you tried deleting Keyboard Maestro and reinstalling a fresh copy?

-Chris

Yes, Keyboard Maestro is clearly launching translocated.

This is not something Keyboard Maestro can “work around” - it is a security feature that needs to be dealt with.

As @ccstone suggests, at the point I would:

• Turn off Keyboard Maestro’s Launch Engine at Login
  • Quit Keyboard Maestro Engine and Keyboard Maestro
  • Delete Keyboard Maestro.app (either use the Finder “Delete Immediately” or trash it and empty the trash,
  • Verify there are no other copies of Keyboard Maestro on your Mac.
  • Download a fresh copy from https://download.keyboardmaestro.com
  • Using the Finder move the Keyboard Maestro.app to the Applications folder.
  • Launch Keyboard Maestro.

If that still does not resolve it, then a visit to an Apple store is in order.

1 Like

haha finally following all these steps fixed it :slight_smile:

thx alot

P.S suggest to add these steps to the wiki :smiley:

2 Likes