Arranging icons in menu bar so that they are permanently positioned?

I use the feature where you can add a macro group to the menu bar a lot - I just use icons (to save space) but the order that they appear in the menu bar is quite random and while I sync my macros across 2 computers, the order they appear on those also differs.

Is it possible to set an order so that they will appear in a predictable and consistent place? Otherwise I have to drag into position after each reboot.

Thanks

In theory, you should be able to hold the command key down and drag the menu items around. And in theory they should stay where they are placed.

In practice, this is entirely system dependent, and I don't know that it survives a reboot.

And it definitely will not sync between Macs.

I happened to see this thread while searching for another topic related to icons. I don't know if you found your solution, but the app Bartender lets you do almost anything you like with the menu bar, including specifying where icons go.

(I'm not affiliated. I'm a paying customer, and I've used for years.) You can evaluate it for free for a month, so it might be worth a try.

https://www.macbartender.com