BatComputer End-of-Day: Example of an Uber Geek's Workflow Macro

Example of an Uber Geek's End-of-Day Workflow Macro

I might just be too geeky for the Keyboard Maestro Forums, but I wanted to post this as an example of something very, very simple you can do with KM.

I have a variety of workflow macros all running off a conflict palette using the CMD+Num Lock key (which manifests in KM as CMD+Clear). I start my day with one. I end my day with another (this one). When I'm producing a radio show, a macro closes and opens what I need it to for that. When I'm teaching class, it opens and closes a bunch of other things, changes my desktop wallpaper, and mutes other devices on my network. Most of these have a Display Text Large action and often a sound, as well. This is one with a sound. It ends my day with two sound clips, closes all my daily use applications, starts the backup and sync tools, and starts my Mac's screensaver.

Here are the audio files, if you're interested or want to use them.

1. First Play Sound item

2. Second Play Sound Item (Alfred)

Workflow - End My Day.kmmacros (7.7 KB)

11 Likes

Well, if you're too geeky for the forum, then so am I, because I think this is awesome. I'll bet it's extremely satisfying to use!

Hmmm, maybe a new video series called "Extremely Satisfying Keyboard Maestro Macros", where we just get to watch macros like this being executed. I'd watch!

OK, now I've got myself thinking. That's dangerous...

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Coming soon... a Keyboard Maestro YouTube series :laughing:

It's funny though because I have similar macros to setup my environment for work and several other things I do regularly, and even though I set them up to launch on their own with no input from me I still like to stand in front of the computer and watch them go :sweat_smile:

What does your backup and sync subroutine do?

3 Likes

Saying that this might just be too geeky for the Keyboard Maestro Forums, is like walking into Rome and saying this might just be too holy for the Vatican.

5 Likes

@Jim, haha, I laughed out loud!

But I do have one question—What if @iampariah is a protestant?

BTW, I'm a little upset that you stole my preferred name for this forum. :wink:

3 Likes

Or (since the original Forum was in Ancient Rome) it's a little like walking into Rome and saying "Estne hoc nimium geeky ad hoc forum?" :rofl:

5 Likes

Protestants doth protest too much, methinks.

I am quite happy to have done this. I love seeing my name as my username here.

Next time, show up earlier! :stuck_out_tongue:

Good one; I think you earn an extra badge for quoting Shakespeare!

That's what I like: a gracious winner!

2 Likes

Saying that this might just be too geeky for the Keyboard Maestro Forums, is like walking into Rome and saying this might just be too holy for the Vatican.

:rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks, Dan.

Let me clean up my desk a little, and I'll video these running.

[quote="cdthomer, post:3, topic:26109"]
It's funny though because I have similar macros to setup my environment for work and several other things I do regularly, and even though I set them up to launch on their own with no input from me I still like to stand in front of the computer and watch them go :sweat_smile:

It's really satisfying to watch these, I admit.

I have some that run at specific times automatically, but these I execute manually because I switch between different workflows so often.

It connects to the Windows 10 server on my network with SMB shares and login dialogs, and then starts up FreeFileSync batch files to sync various folders. It's a little overkill with TimeMachine running onto a removable drive, but I've had occasion where the redundancy has saved me.

2 Likes

It's amazing how that happens sometimes.

I also make extensive use of Git, for lots of things. One of them involves using my Macro Repository Suite to save all my macros as individual JSON files, then using Git to save versions. This has saved my bacon more than once, when I made questionable changes to various macros and wanted to just trash the changes.

You can never have too many backups!

3 Likes

You don't really have to do that, I was just thinking out loud.

If I had unlimited time in my life, I'd curate videos of macros like yours, and do voice-overs with pause and slow-motion to explain the macros.

But alas, I don't have that kind of time. It's too bad, too, because another idea I had was to do the same thing with more simple macros, which could help people learn KM for themselves.

But, as Steve Miller said, "time keeps on slippin' into the future...".

1 Like

My kind of music. @DanThomas, I think I'd enjoy talking to you over a beer. (Please tell me you like beer!)

I'm not against beer per se - I just don't have a taste for it anymore.

@iampariah, if you had a clean desk, you'd loose some of those geek points you've worked so hard to earn!

2 Likes

Great post! I’ve experimenting myself with such macros (still a newbie) since I change projects a lot (teaching via Zoom, Video editing, audio editing, etc etc.
if you can share any other like that would be great.

Best, Panos

Sound Files or this post never happened.

1 Like

You asked, so I supplied. Here's the videos of the macro (and others) running, along with their macros.

Thanks for everyone's encouragement and interest in these.

2 Likes