Best BackUp of everything?

Is this assumption correct?

If I select all macro groups (⌘a) and then export them like this

Then I can (should I lose everything) import the exported file (.kmmacros) and all macro group with the macros in it are restored? Or would you recommend another option? Thank you!

The approach that many users take (including me) is to use @DanThomas’s excellent backup utility. You can read about it here:

1 Like

Looks sophisticated :slight_smile: Maybe too much for me. I would like to understand what I am doing. Does it also work the way I want to do it?

It’s just a macro that you run and it backs up your KM. It also lets you retrieve stuff in the event you mess things up.

It’s sophisticated in the sense that @DanThomas has taken the time and trouble to produce something that is insanely useful, but it is the easiest thing for mere mortals like me to use every day!

I can’t answer that because I would never do a back up that way; your method is what most users employ to share macros with others.

In your screenshot you can see a menu item called Revert Macros which employs KM’s built-in backup system. Maybe you should explore that, too?

1 Like

Ok, thanks a lot tiffle, I'll run some tests.

What I have already tried is the following

I have created two test macro groups with 5 macros in each, then exported, then deleted in KM and re-imported with the exported file.
Works.

If it works with two macro groups, it should also work with 50 macro groups. I suppose.

It will work but it will be a restore all or nothing backup without the option to restore individual Macros. So, no better than just having a good backup of your Mac which I’m sure you have anyway.

I find the best use for that export macro option (apart from sharing Macros with others) is to use it to save safety copies of individual Macros to a folder of my choice. I use it once I have a favourite Macro that I would not want to accidentally change. And I have semi-automated the process, using (of course) Keyboard Maestro.

But I also have a general backup of the Mac. And I use Dropbox to sync my Macros which has the added bonus of being able to restore my Keyboard Maestro library from previous dated Dropbox versions.

1 Like

That's right, it's "all or nothing." This can be an advantage or disadvantage. I will additionally backups my most important macro groups. I think that is best for me. Thank you Zabobon and tiffle!

2 Likes

You're very welcome!

Just one last word of caution for you @Frankb, just in case you are not aware...

Having made a backup and created your .kmmacros file you might at some later stage think - "I want to get my macro group back to how it was" so what do you do - naturally, in Finder you just double click on that .kmmacros file to import that backup and overwrite the group and its macros.

That's when you discover one of KM's niche but odd behaviours: it doesn't overwrite the macros in your group but instead just imports the old macros and leaves them in the same group so you get this sort of thing happening:

KM 0 2022-04-10_16-31-33
This shows the result of my importing a .kmmacros file twice: the only way to tell what's been imported and what hasn't is that the imported macros (from the backup file) are disabled.

Sure it's not the end of the world, but it just makes this method of backing-up and restoring a bit more of a hassle - especially if the group you're backing-up/restoring already contains some disabled macros.

Yes, this is part of the all or nothing dilemma, and must not be forgotten. Before I import all the macros, I first need to delete all of them in KM. (If that should ever be necessary.) This applies even if only one macro or Group was deleted by mistake. Thanks, tiffle.