Bookmarks Manager

This macro is for anyone who would like better control over their bookmarks.

It's a work-in-progress, so please let me know if you think it could be improved.

It currently works with Safari, Chrome and Brave.

Bookmarks Manager.kmmacros (98 KB)

Macro screenshot

Usage:

⌥⌘O = Open bookmarks (⌥↵ to delete after opening)
⌃⌥⌘O = Open a number of random bookmarks

⌥⌘B = Bookmark the current tab
⌃⌥⌘B = Bookmark all tabs in the current window

⌥⌘M = Reveals your bookmarks folder so that you can delete or reorder them.

2 Likes

Excellent… Been looking for something like this

Just changing Brave to "Safari" in the AppleScript gave me this error. In script editor the word 'tab' gets highlighted

Action Type: Execute an AppleScript failed with script error: text-script:55:58: script error: Expected end of line but found class name.
Action Name: Save Current Tab

1 Like

@noisneil can you explain the reason/benefits for this method of managing bookmarks?

That explanation could be an inspiration to those who might otherwise overlook this macro.

1 Like

Good question. Someone recently asked about opening multiple bookmarks at once without having to deal with their browser's bookmarks manager. I figured maybe a KM bookmarks manager system might be useful to anyone who wants that kind of control.

I haven't added any fancy features yet but you could do things like opening 10 random bookmarks if you like. So see this as an opening gambit rather than a finished article.

1 Like

Updated to work with:

• Safari
  • Chrome
  • Brave

You don't need to edit the AppleScript; it will detect the front browser.

1 Like

Updated to include everything in one macro and added the option to open a number of random tabs from a chosen bookmarks folder.

1 Like

Updated with options for deleting bookmarks after they are opened, as well as a few safeguards and UX improvements.

1 Like

Another benefit to this is that you can save bookmarks in any browser and they'll be universally accessible.

2 Likes

I've been trying to replace most things a launcher like Alfred does with just Keyboard Maestro and Spotlight and a dedicated bookmark search is something I was missing (although maybe it's possible with native Safari bookmarks)

So that's one use case…

1 Like