Can Animation of Moving Windows Be Disabled?

Does anyone know how to disable the window movement animation when using the Move a Window Action? I've so far…

• "Reduced motion" in macOS.

• Run the terminal command for KM (defaults write com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine DisableAnimation -bool YES) and restarted both KM Editor and the KM Engine.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

You can try:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool false
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSWindowResizeTime -float 0.001

I think the application needs to be relaunched (so perhaps restart after changing this), and I don't know whether they work (or still work).

See:

I'd be interested to know whether they work or not.

4 Likes

Thank you, Peter. That did the trick!

1 Like

Thank you again for your suggestion. It worked at first. And now…suddenly it's not. Windows are also animating again when I use the KM Action Move Window. Any ideas? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

If it stopped working, you should try issuing the "defaults" commands again now to see what happens. If that fixes it, it means that some app reverted the defaults.

@Airy @peternlewis Running the commands again and quitting the apps didn't change anything - but rebooting did. I think that's the trick. I believe what may have reset the animations was running BetterDisplay, which is an amazing app - and animations may simply be reset in the course of it working its magic. Thanks again, all!

1 Like