Can KM replace System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts?

Then[quote=“chsweb, post:20, topic:5757, full:true”]
… screenshot of a palette doesn’t help answer the question.
[/quote]

Then helpful if you refine your question.
What part of “floating” did I miss?

If your question is, “…how do we do this in Keyboard Maestro?”, I have already answered that by suggesting searching and reading.

@JMichaelTX also made many specific suggestions above.

@Mark, yes, you missed the entire post about how I searched the Wiki and Forums and there are zero pages showing “How to Create a Floating Palette in Keyboard Maestro” and/or “How to replace System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts with Keyboard Maestro.” As far as I can tell, this post is the best place to get those answers.

When people cannot find answers, they post questions in forums, like this one. Either answer the questions, share a link to the answer, or leave your comments out, because they are not helping.

I will be incredibly surprised if you can find and share a link to help content that explains:

1. “How to Create a Floating Palette in Keyboard Maestro.”
  2. How to replace System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts with Keyboard Maestro

Nothing that you have contributed thus far has helped anyone who might find this thread… which will likely be people who already tried searching for an answers in the Wiki.

Perhaps it is not obvious, but all KM palettes are "floating".

From manual:Glossary [Keyboard Maestro Wiki]

Palette

a floating window containing macros that you can trigger. There are several different kinds of palettes and you can style them in various ways

Here's the main KM Wiki page on Palettes:
manual:Palettes [Keyboard Maestro Wiki]

And here is a KM Wiki Search on Palettes:
Search: palette [Keyboard Maestro Wiki]

We are always looking for ways to improve the KM Wiki. If you can't find the answers to your questions in the Wiki, and you later learn the answer, please post in the forum the Q&A, and how you'd like to see it in the Wiki.

Thanks.

@JMichaelTX thank you for the links, however they do not show "how" to create a palette. There is nothing in any of Keyboard Maestro's help content that shows "how to create a floating palette," or "how to create a keyboard shortcut."

The Wiki defines what a palette is, but the Wiki does show us how to use or how to make a palette. It is a good Wiki for "what," but not at all useful for "how." To put it into analogy terms, imagine you want to learn how to change the oil in a 1965 Mustang. So, you search Ford's Wiki, and all you can find is the definition of oil. That does not help you change the oil.

We are always looking for ways to improve the KM Wiki. If you can't find the answers to your questions in the Wiki, and you later learn the answer, please post in the forum the Q&A, and how you'd like to see it in the Wiki.

That is exactly what I have done.

The Wiki would be much improved if it cross reference tutorials on how to create a floating palette. Per my previous post:

###I will be incredibly surprised if you can find and share a link to help content that explains:

1. "How to Create a Floating Palette in Keyboard Maestro."
  2. How to replace System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts with Keyboard Maestro

Point taken.

OK, maybe I missed it.
Please post below the description you would like to see in the Wiki (or a link to the description).

Thanks.

Please post below the description you would like to see in the Wiki (or a link to the description).

A How To section for "Creating Keyboard Shortcuts" would be very helpful in many of the Wiki pages.

I made a really fast video tutorial here:
###Setting up Keyboard Shortcuts for Applications with Keyboard Maestro

For the "Palettes" Wiki, here is what I posted (above) earlier:

###What is a Floating Macro Palette?
It is a list of all of the shortcuts that have been created for the current application you are using… or all shortcuts that you have created, depending on how you configure your palette. It serves as a nice reminder of the shortcuts you can use and it also lets you click on them to trigger the shortcut you set up.

###How Do I Create a Floating Macro Palette?

1. Open Keyboard Maestro Editor
  2. Click on a folder in the "Group" column.
  3. In the far-right column, click on the menu for "Always Activated" and choose "Shows a palette until"
  4. Enter a hot key, I used OPTION + K
  5. Test out the other options to see what they do, such as "Place palette under mouse"

Note About Step 3: The 'Always Activated' menu in the right column may be different for you. It may be set to "Activated for one action when:" or "Activated/deactivated when:" instead.

Note About Step 4: You can also get the floating palette to work by choosing "Shows a palette for one action when:" or "Shows/hides a palette when:" during step 3 above.

1 Like

@chsweb, thanks for your input.

I will take what you have posted, and update the KM Wiki.
Note: It may take several days before I can get this, and complete it, but it will get done.

2 Likes