Can One Use Keyboard Maestro to Delete Support Files for Apps That Are Deleted

I have transitioned my Hazel rules to folder triggers in Keyboard Maestro. I had only two of them.

The one thing that Hazel does which I like is that it offers to do an app sweep (delete support files) after I uninstall an application.

Is that something that can be replicated with Keyboard Maestro? I searched and surprisingly could not find a related thread here.

Thank you.

While it may be possible for KM to do this, I would not use KM for this use case.
Instead, I reply on the inexpensive app deletion tool AppDelete.

It is easy to use, very reliable, and has always found all app-related files for the apps I have deleted.

@JMichaelTX thank you for the reply.

I looked into AppDelete. Does not support BigSur yet. While I am not on BigSur, I do plan to upgrade soon so that will be an issue. May be the developer will upgrade the app soon. Will watch.

Thank you.

Reggie (the developer) has generally kept his app up to date. But you can specifically ask him and request that he support Big Sur:
Contact Support: http://www.reggieashworth.com/support.html

Got it. I will. Thank you again for the reply!

Actually as a side but related question - do you use Hazel? You don't have to answer of course. Thank you!

No, I don't use Hazel. If you already own it, and it works well for removing all app-related files, then you might just use it.

Hey @sims,

Keyboard Maestro cannot do this directly.

It could probably be done using mdfind in the shell, but determining what files/folders belong to an app is a tricky business.

Like @JMichaelTX I use AppDelete for this task. It lets me eyeball the files, before I delete them and has other useful features.

As has been noted there is no notice that Big Sur will be supported on the website.

I have already done this and have not heard back.

After checking I've found that Reggie died in an automobile accident in 2017, and his best friend Hans Thorsten Tuchel took over maintenance of AppDelete.

I'm aggrieved to find out that we lost Reggie and concerned that the security certificate for the site is expired.

I will be looking at alternatives, unless I hear back soon from Hans.

-Chris

2 Likes

Hazel offers this, too, along with checkboxes allowing the user to keep some files where they are rather than moving them to the Trash.

1 Like

Hey Folks,

My general opinion is that if you already own Hazel you should keep using it for what it's good for and not try to replicate its functionality with Keyboard Maestro.

Depending upon the number and complexity of the workflows.

Hazel is a specialty utility and just does some of that stuff better than Keyboard Maestro.

-Chris

I do use Hazel and its feature that we're discussing here—called App Sweep—but I only just now remembered this added feature described in the help documentation:

If you you want to reinstall the app [...] open the Trash, select the app, and choose “File” > “Put Back” ( ⌘ -Delete). Hazel will offer to reinstall any support files it threw away previously. (If for any reason you need to salvage just the support files manually, you can find them in the Trash listed under the application’s name.)

That's another feature that would be difficult to replicate with Keyboard Maestro.

No kidding.

AppDelete has a similar function.

-Chris

Thank you for the informative reply.

Hazel has come up with a paid upgrade and caused me to rethink because I do not use the Hazel rules any more and Hazel feels like a big hammer for app sweep functionality.

If you find an app you like for Big Sur, and remember to, then do please share here. :slight_smile:

Thank you again.

I've got my eye on this TrashMe 3.

I don't have Big Sur, but it'll work on my Mojave box. I'll try to give it a test soon.

I've tested TrashMe 3's antecedents over a number of years, and I almost bought it – before I discovered AppDelete.

-Chris

1 Like

I haven't tried it yet, but it does look promising:

Uninstall, no file left behind

When you remove an app from your Mac, a lot of files remain on your disk (temporary files, caches, settings…), wasting precious space.

With TrashMe, probably the best Mac uninstaller, you’ll get rid of all these files! Our powerful algorithm has been improved over the years to find almost every file created by apps. Uninstall or reset the app, it’s up to you.

Uninstall 3 times faster than TrashMe 2

But TrashMe 3 does much more than just Uninstall. See the web site for details.

Personally I use a nice little app called AppZapper to do the task of completely uninstalling apps.

Like @JMichaelTX and others have said in this thread, sometimes it is better and safer to use specific apps to do these kind of tasks rather than trying to bend Keyboard Maestro to do something similar.

I try to limit the amount of third party apps I rely on and in fact, I always try to do things first with native Mac Apps. But there are certain tasks that third party dedicated apps handle brilliantly and a large part of the joy of using a Mac is having access to such apps created by dedicated and enthusiastic independent developers.

1 Like

I quite like AppZapper. It was the first uninstaller app of its kind that I tested.

Unfortunately at $19.95 U.S. I've never thought it offered enough value for money to purchase – nor has it grown very much in capability over the years.

I keep a copy on my system for testing, and to remind me every once in a while to see if it's grown any.

-Chris

Let me add as well another free and Big Sur compatible alternative:
AppCleaner

I used this software before switching completely to Hazel (I use hazel mainly for its other capabilities... the added app cleaning functionality is just a „bonus“ for me).

Apart from that have a look at UninstallPKG as well. AppCleaner works great for all software you install via Drag & Drop directly to the programs folder. However some Mac software is packaged in a pkg installer (e.g. Microsoft software on Mac, additional drivers etc.). UninstallPKG is great to list and remove the files associated with these types of installers.

2 Likes