Cannot simulate keystroke due to ambiguous keyboard shortcuts

Hello there,
I am trying to put some keyboard shortcuts in Adobe Lightroom on my F keys. Now I have run into a strange problem: The keyboard shortcut to rotate an image to the left is ⌘[ - yes, that's an opening square bracket. On my German keyboard layout I can type an [ by pressing ⌥5. So to rotate an image to the left in Lightroom, I have to press ⌥⌘5.

Now, if I press this combination on my keyboard in Lightroom this works. To my surprise, when I set up this very simple KM macro it did not work, but did switch to another workspace instead.

It turns out that Lightroom has two shortcuts, one it calls ⌘[ to rotate the image and another one it calls ⌥⌘5 that switches to another workspace. The interesting thing is, that if I use the shortcut on my keyboard in Lightroom it works as expected and it turns my image. If I simulate this very same key combination via KM, it does trigger the other shortcut instead.

Now my question: Is there any way to let KM simulate a [ press specifically and combine it with a press?

Thank you!
trych

You could try changing the keyboard layout and setting it that way, but simulated keycodes are based on the actual keycodes, so it’s not clear what pressing the [ key would do when adding the command-key does something different.

Alternatively you could use the Select Menu Item action instead.

Or you could use the System Preferences to adjust the Rotate Left (CCW) menu to a different shortcut.

Not exactly sure, what you mean by «setting it that way»? However, using the System Preferences to assign a different shortcut worked for me, so I consider this problem solved. Thank you Peter!

trych

1 Like