CAPS Lock Visual Indicator

Howdy folks,

Sometimes I start typing something not realizing CAPS lock is enabled. A lot of times, it’s because I accidentally hit the key while going for the Shift or Tab key. This macro serves as a visual indicator (located at the mouse position) if the CAPS Lock key is enabled.

More details, screenshots and screen recordings are below. As usual, feel free to share any comments or suggestions, or to let me know if it doesn’t work for you.

-Chris

Download Macro(s): 56)Caps Lock Indicator.kmmacros (36 KB)

CURRENT VERSION: 1.0.0 (Monday, January 22, 2024)

Version History (click to expand/collapse)

v1.0.0 Monday, January 22, 2024
Initial macro

Macro Image (click to expand/collapse)

Macro Screen Recording (click to expand/collapse)

Screen Recording 2024-01-22 at 10.07.21

RELEASE NOTES, INSTRUCTIONS AND DISCLAIMER

Purpose of this macro (click to expand/collapse)

Show an on-screen visual indicator if the CAPS Lock key is enabled.

How this macro works (click to expand/collapse)

Upon pressing the CAPS lock key, the macro will show a blue rectangle at the mouse location if and for however long the CAPS lock key is enabled.

How to use this macro (click to expand/collapse)

Hit your CAPS lock key... that’s it.

How to configure this macro (click to expand/collapse)

Adjust your triggers if you have a different keyboard, being sure to use the USB device key, and NOT the hotkey trigger.

Disclaimer (click to expand/collapse)

TL;DR: I built it and it works for me. You can share/modify it how you want. But don't blame me if it doesn’t work for you :laughing:

Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this software for any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

Macro Notes (Click to expand/collapse)
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
  • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
  • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.
System Information (Click to expand/collapse)
  • macOS 13.6.3
  • Keyboard Maestro v11.0.2
6 Likes

Colophon question: which app do you use to disclose keystrokes?

KeyCastr, it’s a great little app, and free to use.

2 Likes

I solved this a few years ago here.... NOW with Apple's Sonoma, it's been done better and i get to take a small pride in being the first to demade it.

Caps Lock Indicator
Caps Lock Indicator.kmmacros (2.7 KB)

The software for my Logitech MX Master S3 displays an indicator when capslock is on. The indicator follows the text cursor, which seems more logical to me. Note that the indicator is only displayed when typing is at rest. That seems logical too.

Nice! I’m shunning Sonoma because of all the negative things I’ve heard about it. :person_shrugging:t2:

Yours is similar to something I came up with last year but discarded because I didn’t want a macro executing every second all day long. My current iteration is activated only when the caps lock key is pressed which drastically reduces how often it actually runs.

I like it! But I don’t use Logitech keyboards/mice so I needed a different solution.

Thought so :). But would it be an idea to pin the indicator to the text cursor?

From everything I’ve read over the years there’s really no way to determine cursor coordinates, so unless there’s something new or I’m otherwise unaware of, I don’t believe there’s a way to do that. Prove me wrong though and I’ll update my macro. :wink::laughing:

Looks like this indicator is default in Sonoma. So not a Logitech feature. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255159504?sortBy=best

Huh?! Sonoma is amazing. Don't believe everything you "hear."

1 Like

Well even this forum has quite a few posts about Sonoma-related issues, as well as the MPU forum. So I’ll steer clear for the moment. :wink:

Thank you, very useful!

1 Like