Catalina Voice Navigation

Catalina seems interesting with regard to automation given its improved voice recognition.

If I define a custom voice command in Catalina which has the action to "Press keyboard shortcut" then it works well to activate a KM macro triggered by typing a hot key.

On the other hand, it would be helpful to be able to use arbitrary text fragments and not remember which keystrokes are taken or not. I can configure KM to be triggered by typing a text string. If I then manually type that text string the Macro works. Oddly however if I set up Catalina to "Paste Text" then the text is pasted into my current application with the voice command but in that case KM does not respond. Any ideas why?

I wouldn't use Voice Control to activate keyboard shortcuts for this. Try the Open URL action to run a macro via its URL instead:

00%20PM

This way, you can have Voice Control run any macro you like without having to worry about keystrokes at all.

4 Likes

Thanks - that works well

That is supremely cool! Would you like to post that to the Tips & Tutorials section? I think a lot of folks would be interested in that.

2 Likes

Well damn, if the maestro himself is asking, how can I refuse? :wink:
I can't promise I'll get to it right away, but I'll try to put together a quick Tips & Tutorials post when I can.

2 Likes

It really does expand KM considerably - I have it set up now to go by voice among my 3 main applications and it is quite a nice trick indeed to do that.

That said, there seem to be some security issues or restrictions on some words. For example, I could not get "Airmail" to work by this mechanism but was able to get it working with a hotkey shortcut instead.

Also - while Voice Control seems to be quite powerful and the killer feature of Catalina IMHO, it also is quite CPU intensive.

1 Like