Change case of letter after a semicolon

I have these strings on my clipboard:

one;two;three;four
One;Two;Three;Four

is there an easy way to change the case of the first letters after the semicolons?

On a side note: I guess that this would be a nice job to tackle with OSAX. However, this has been deprecated for macOS Mojave.

Hey Hans,

Easily done with a little bit of Perl.

-Chris

Capitalize Words Using a Perl Regular Expression v1.00.kmmacros (5.6 KB)

1 Like

KM is a great tool for those that are not skilled in the more complex scripting languages (of course, it is also a great tool to use with them). So, for those that might want a non-scripting KM solution, here's a (not so) simple macro.

In this case, because KM does NOT offer either of these:

1. RegEx Replacement using the somewhat standard metacharacters for changing case (\L \U \l \u)
    (for more info see: Changing case with regular expressions )

2. A function that will change case (there is a Filter action that changes case)

I have to recommend a scripting solution like that of Chris @ccstone, as it will be much faster for large strings than the workaround KM Macro below.

So, given

and assuming that you want to change ONLY the lower case to upper case after a semicolon, this example macro will do the job:

Example Results

MACRO:   Make Character after Delimiter Lower Case [Example]

#### DOWNLOAD:
<a class="attachment" href="/uploads/default/original/3X/1/8/18fb8611fbbb6fd3b3aadf2a492353eddd061806.kmmacros">Make Character after Delimiter Lower Case [Example].kmmacros</a> (4.2 KB)
**Note: This Macro was uploaded in a DISABLED state. You must enable before it can be triggered.**

---

![image|523x1195](upload://A4KfSSDVIs42AW7QbF1rp28qYu.jpeg)

---

I have to admit that at first this somewhat stumpted me, but then I realized that a brute-force approach of redundant replacements would work.  That is why it is slower.  Having said that, for small strings (< 1000 characters) the difference in speed will not be noticable by most using a modern Mac.

---

Questions?
1 Like

Not in the current shipping version anyway…

2 Likes

I was playing around with the Objective-C regular expression functions for a bit and they don't seem to recognise these metacharacters either. I may go back for another play in case I did something wrong, but I was quite surprised by this.

NSString and NSRegularExpression (which I assume KM is using behind the scenes) use ICU Regular Expressions, which AFAIK don't support the case-changing flags.

1 Like