cmd+A to run cmd+A & cmd+C

I want Command+A to run Command+A & Command+C.
(In other words, when I press a single shortcut key, I want to perform the original function and then add a new function.)
Is this possible?
Thank you.

Yes, it's possible. I have several macros that Select All and Copy the selection to the clipboard.

You can use the Type a Keystroke action to do what you're thinking of but I don't.

Try using the Select Menu Item and finding the Select All option under the Edit menu of your application. If you're using this generically, use the Type a Keystroke action for Cmd-A. Then use the Copy action.

But the real words of wisdom I'd like to pass along are these: When you get a bright idea for Keyboard Maestro, just try it. That's where the fun is.

Thank you for your message.
I see, that method is good.
However, some apps do not display the menu bar.(Applications that reside in the launcher or menu bar, etc.)
In that case, should I just give up?
Also thanks for the advice that I should try what I came up with!
I asked this question because I already tried and failed, but I will continue to do so.

If you try something that doesn't work, share the macro and someone will explain why. Peter explains how to do that here:

And here's a macro that does work (and is shared using Peter's technique):

Copy All Macro (v10.2)

Copy All.kmmacros (2.3 KB)

Note that I'm not using Cmd-A as the trigger because there may be times when you don't want to Copy everything you select. You may want to delete it, for example. So rather than usurp Cmd-A's single function, I trigger the macro with a variant of Control-Cmd-A.

1 Like

Thank you for you reply.
Ah, I'm sorry for my explanation is insufficient.
I wanted to set it with cmd-A because I don't care if the copy is set in all imaginable cases.
Other keys were already used for some shortcuts, and pressing more key such as Option would tire my fingers, so I was stuck with cmd-A.
Thank you.

2 Likes