Contextual/Dialog Menu

Hi all,

For many years I've been searching for a way to help me in my work - I've never found a solution, but maybe Keyboard Maestro is the way to go.

I'm dealing with a lot of files (through Finder) in my daily work. I need to build a way to quickly:

1. Choose what kind of file it is (example: Lecture, teaching, P.hd. etc.) under every choice I need to give additional input (PowerPoint, to-send, read etc.)

2. I need Keyboard Maestro to perform an action based on what I choose (example: Lecture + to-send THEN rename file til "Lecture-ORIGINAL FILENAME (to-send).ppx"

Is there any way to do this. If yes, can you please give an example or point in the correct direction? I would be super grateful :slight_smile:

Hey @tarz4n,

Welcome to the forum!   :smile:

You've been missing out!

All of that sounds relatively easy, but you'll have to provide a more detailed specification of requirements.

If you haven't read this it's worth a couple of minutes of your time.

Tip: How Do I Get The Best Answer in the Shortest Time?

How to Post Your Macro to the Forum

• What is the full list of file kinds?
  • What is the full list of additional requirements?
  • What is the full list of actions to be performed?

Once we have more information it'll be easier to make design decisions.

Here's a quick example of what can be done just to stimulate your imagination.

User Prompt Example v1.00.kmmacros (5.8 KB)

See: the Prompt for User Input action.

-Chris

1 Like

Wow, thank you for helping me! Ive imported your example and fiddling around :slight_smile:

Can you tell me how I perform the actions on the file I have selected in Finder? So I can:

1. Select the file(s) in Finder
  2. Execute the hotkey
  3. Promt comes up, asking what to do with the files.
  4. Rename accordingly, and move to a "Archive folder"

Yes, but please provide more real-world information:

-Chris

I have tried to explain it with the attached picture :slight_smile:

The file have to be renamed (accordingly to the user-input) then moved to specific directory.

Hey @tarz4n,

Yes, that helps.

This is not well tested, but it's working on my system.

Remember – macros when imported are disabled by default, so you need to check both the macro and its container macro group to make certain they're enabled.

This macro can be improved to remember the user's last choices, but I'm tired and don't feel like bothering at the moment.

It's past my lunchtime...

-Chris

Finder ⇢ Selected File ⇢ Process and Move to Processed Folder v1.00.kmmacros (13 KB)

1 Like