Continuing From: "Setting the Default Printer"

I just made this macro to change my default printer based on wireless network, based on the tools found in Peter's thread, above.

Set Default Printer by Wireless Network.kmmacros (6.9 KB)

My questions are:

1. How do I set a third option, to save to PDF when offline, as @Chauncey did? I tried to kludge my way through what he'd posted but "kludge" is too kind a word to describe what I'm capable of so far.

2. How can I force Chrome to change its default printer, and still use its native print preview? I found this article which disables the print preview, thus pushing my default printer change to Chrome... but I miss the preview:

Thank you.

Question 1

I use a program called Printopia which allows me to make a PDF “printer”.

Question 2

You can turn Chrome’s built-in print dialog off by entering defaults write com.google.Chrome DisablePrintPreview -bool true in Terminal.app.

I didn't mean to summon you, but thank you for responding!

1: I am downloading now to try it out.

2: Yes, that I've found from the article I linked, but I'm wondering if there's a way to KEEP the print dialog, but push through the new default printer we set from the macro. I suspect no, but asking just in case.

Thank you for your help.

If I understand correctly, you want to keep Chrome’s built-in print dialog but have it use the default printer set from Keyboard Maestro (KM).

If that’s the case, I imagine you could store the desired printer in a global KM variable. That var could later be accessed by a different GUI macro you make that would open Chrome’s print dialog and then select that macro from the dropdown list prior to printing the document.

Alternatively, there may be some way to configure Chrome via the command line or preference list but I think you’d have to do some digging for that :slight_smile:

Correct. I will have to dig, then. Thank you!