Count Characters in String Macro (v10.2)

Count Characters in String.kmmacros (3.4 KB)

Trying to familiarize with Applescript syntax. I am attempting to get the count of characters in a string and return the result to a variable.

This seems to work just fine if I perform the count in the Applescript using a literal string but having a problem when attempting to pass the string as a variable. It always returns 0 so I know I'm doing something wrong here just not certain what.

Within the script I've tried counting all possible permutations of the variable but hitting a blocker.
I'm sure the answer is pretty simple and I "think" I'm not that far off.

What's missing?

The method you’re using to get the variable into your script works for global variables. Since you’re using a local variable you need to use the slightly different method shown in the KM wiki here AppleScript [Keyboard Maestro Wiki]

2 Likes

Not having much luck trying to implement the logic for using Local variables inside the script and returning the result even after using the examples but admittedly I have zero experience working with AS.

Could the posted macro be modified with the appropriate way this should be done as an example? I'd likely have a better understanding of how this should work.

@tiffle never mind that last request. I just figured it out

Count Characters in String.kmmacros (3.7 KB)

Appreciate the lead!

On observation, apparently "Save to variable" has no value in this scenario. So I just changed the Script component to "ignore results"

So in what instance would saving to the variable be of any significance using AppleScript??? :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Instead of using the set variable statement replace it with

return strCount as string

and that value will then be available in Local__VarName that you’ve set up in the Save to variable field in your Execute AppleScript action.

Alternatively, set the KM variable this way:

setvariable "Local__FromAS" instance kmInst to strCount as string

KM variables can contain text only, so strCount needs to be converted from an integer to a string

1 Like