Country to ISO code converter

Hey all,

Looking for a way to do a basic text expansion where I select a country from a dropdown and it converts it to the ISO3 code (a three letter code that is used for each country). I have that full list (about 190 countries with their codes) in Excel but am wondering if anyone has ideas on how I could create this. Basically, I want to be able to type a shortcut, have it popup a window asking for some info (a disaster type, the country, and the year) then convert to a string that shortens the country to the ISO code and appends the year.

Any help or ideas would be really appreciated! Thanks

In a Prompt for User Input action (KM Wiki), you can display one value, but set the Variable to a different value.
See How to Store a Different Value than Displayed.

So, in Excel you can build the default value list for the Prompt, which is one line with each choice separated by a "|". Then Set a Variable to this list, and use that Variable as the default value for the Prompt.

If this is not clear, let me know and I'll find an example for you.

1 Like

thanks so much for your response! i think i get what you’re saying but would love an example if you have it. the part im not clear on is the last part. if i do a merge where i combine the two columns with a pipe separating the two values, do i just paste that new column into KM somehow or is there a csv input method?

Actually, I just figured it out using a concat and then pasting the final value into it. Thanks again for your help!

2 Likes

Great! If you don't mind sharing, perhaps you could post your finished, working macro. It sounds like a macro, or parts of it, is one that many might be interested in.

Sure thing! As context for what this is being used for... I work in disaster response and my team uses Slack. For each response I want to quickly create a standard channel that uses a set naming scheme: d(to organize on your channel sidebar) + the year of the disaster + the location (shortened and standardized using iso codes, since working in GIS it is easier to connect one record to another using that standardization) + the disaster classification. So using the ",channel" shortcut asks for that data and pumps out, for example, "d17-bgd-tc". I know this is a very niche use, but hopefully others can use the iso code lookup you helped me out with!

New Slack Disaster Channel.kmmacros (6.7 KB)

2 Likes