Disable KM "check for updates"?

I have a mac that runs KM by folder triggers, it’s its only duty here in life.

Everytime there’s a new update out for KM the automation fails since the do-you-wanna-update-box messes up my scripts.

Is there any way to turn off automatically check for updates for KM?

IIRC there’s a “skip version” button which should shut up the pop-up for a while until a new version is released. Then again, I don’t know why you wouldn’t want to update.

1 Like

There is a preference to only display the update messages when you activate the editor which can be used on servers or presentation machines or the like. It’s in the General preferences in version 8.0.4, and a defaults write preference in 7.x and 8.x before then.

1 Like

What exactly is the defaults write preference for 7.x?
I’ve tried defaults read com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine and there doesn’t seem to be an obvious preference for update checking.

As described in Preferences user manual section, the preference is:

defaults write com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine ReportUpdatesWhenEditorActivates -bool YES

defaults read will not show any preference that is not set already, which includes most preferences left in their default state.

Great, thank you!

Hey @peternlewis,

Is there a way to disable the update feature pop up.
or does the command “defaults write com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine ReportUpdatesWhenEditorActivates -bool YES” does that already

1 Like

The preference means the report of the new version will only happen when you launch or activate the editor, which is useful on server Macs or if you do presentations or whatever.

The only way to stop the notification altogether is to firewall the keyboardmaestro.com site - because there is only me doing support, I cannot afford to have people running old versions and asking for support only to respond with “that is fixed in 8.x.x”.