Discovered a bug in Dropbox

I have two Macs: an M1 MacBook Pro, and an Intel iMac. Both run the same version of Dropbox 143.4.4161, both run the same version of MacOS 12.2.1. On the iMac, Dropbox behaves as it should. On the M1, it shows a bug. The bug is that the field named "Help" is empty on the M1, but it has the correct status on the Intel version. Here's an AppleScript that should behave the same way on both, but in fact it does not. I've reported it to Dropbox through an informal management channel, because the formal support channel did not understand what I was doing.

# Auth: Christopher Stone
# dCre: 2015/07/19 01:47
# dMod: 2015/09/06 13:00
# Appl: Dropbox and System Events
# Task: Get Dropbox Status
# Tags: @Applescript, @Script, @System_Events, @Dropbox, @Status
# Updated by Ike Nassi 2020-07-14
# Updated by Ike Nassi 2021-01-29 after the last version stopped working
# Updated by Ike Nassi 2022-03-04 after script stopped working on M1
#
set DropBoxStatus to "Not Synced"
repeat
	tell application "System Events"
		activate
		tell UI element "Dropbox"
			tell menu bar 2
				tell menu bar item 1
					set DropBoxStatus to (help as text)
				end tell
			end tell
		end tell
	end tell
	display notification DropBoxStatus with title "Wait for Dropbox"
	if (DropBoxStatus contains "Up to date" or DropBoxStatus is "missing value") then
		return DropBoxStatus
	else
		delay 30
	end if
end repeat
2 Likes

My new "Wait for Dropbox" macro for Dropbox on M1. Although it really is a bug in dropbox, I have a workaround. I don't like it as much however. To use it, you have set the set "System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Display -> Reduce Transparency".
Wait for Dropbox for M1.kmmacros (45.0 KB)

I remember trying to troubleshoot this with you awhile back. I'm glad you reported it and were able to find a workaround in the meantime. Thanks for sharing!

Well, it turns out Dropbox never fixed the original bug I reported, but they acknowledged that it was truly a bug. So I would encourage people to report it as a problem, since at this time, I'm the only one who has reported it.

Well, it got worse. The latest version of Dropbox 144.4.4491), which downloaded automatically last night, not only didn't fix the version on the Mac M1 process, now the version that runs on my iMac (Intel) is broken in the same way. To be accurate, I upgraded to MacOS 12.3 yesterday, so Dropbox is not the only variable that changed.

The good news, is that the version I posted here for "Wait for Dropbox for M1.kmmacros" also works on Intel on the current Dropbox and the current MacOS (12.3).