Display Text Briefly does not display briefly

In Apple Mail, I use Display Text Briefly for macros I use to file messages – just for additional confirmation that the event completed. I only wanted the notices to stay up a second or two, but I’m having to click them to make them go away.

Have I misunderstood how this action works? If it has something to do with my system Notifications settings, I have them set to stay up so I don’t miss important emails. If I would have to change that setting to make the macros work, I can’t do that. If that’s the case, is there another way I could insert a momentary notification into a macro – even if it’s in the middle of the screen? As long as it goes away on it’s own in a couple seconds.

Hey @veramilo,

Yes, it does.

You should be able to use an Execute an AppleScript action to bypass that.

display notification "They're coming to take you away – Ha, Ha!" with title "Keyboard Maestro" subtitle "Is sending you a message" sound name "Tink"

-Chris

1 Like

You might try the KM Action "Notification".

This has worked consistently well for me in many macros.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I’m sorry, I think I found an answer on my own but couldn’t remove my post in time.

It appears there’s a separate Notification setting for both Mail and KM. I didn’t know KM had one, too. I set KM to banners and Mail to Alerts. KM notifications are now going away on their own. I won’t know if Mail is working the way I want until I get a message that is set with a notification.

I will keep the AppleScript in mind.

Notification looks like it does about the same thing as Display Text Briefly except that it appears in the Notification Center and I don’t think the latter one does. That could be useful. Thank you.

Interestingly…

With Display Text Large, which is in the same action as Display Text Briefly, Large always disappears – even when KM Notifications are set to Alert mode. Briefly only disappears when they are set to Banner. And you can’t make Large disappear early by clicking it no matter what the KM Notification setting is set at.