Does anyone know how to send email from the current display (not the one where mail is running...)

I use three monitors and several screens on each. I would like to create a macro that will pop up a ‘compose email’ window on whatever display/screen I happen to be on at the moment and let me send it without locating the mail app on another screen and, potentially, display.

I’ve tried the ‘send mail message’ macro and it will pop up a window, but it does that on the monitor and window where mail is running. I’ve tried ‘bring a window to the front’ and a few other things, but they don’t get the mail compose window to my active screen.

Has anyone created a macro that will do what I’m looking for or do you have any suggestions? I’m a long time user of Mac but new to KM and I don’t know AppleScript or automator but would be willing to try if that’s required and it’s simple.

thanks!

I think something like this should work, or at least give you some ideas:

MACRO:   Move Window to Active Screen

#### DOWNLOAD:
<a class="attachment" href="/uploads/default/original/3X/f/a/fa7f53875e2d0719cd36cc8d40cebde4bc126631.kmmacros">Move Window to Active Screen.kmmacros</a> (16 KB)
**Note: This Macro was uploaded in a DISABLED state. You must enable before it can be triggered.**

---

![image|458x728](upload://hMDMKY97eiIir0rjW8EmZDeMhVU.jpg)

This gets me 90% of the way there, but it opens up a new mail window in the
same screen where mail is running. I was looking for something to open the
new mail window in the screen where I called the macro from, which is
almost always a different screen. Any thoughts on how I might do that? If
not, thanks very much for what you sent. I’ll keep working on it.

Best,

Hey George,

We don't have any control over where Mail opens its new outgoing messages. That's up to Mail and the system.

There may be a way to do this using AppleScriptObjC and bypassing Mail, but I don't have time to look into that right now.

-Chris

No worries. Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure I understand your point.
My macro does initially open the new mail window in same screen as Mail, but then very quickly moves it to the front screen where the macro was triggered.
On my mac, it goes so fast that if I blink I don't even see it in the Mail screen.

What's the difference, and why does it matter?

I think I figured it out. I wasn’t seeing the behavior you described when I tested it. When I invoked it, the macro would switch to the space that had mail in it and open the window, which took me away from the application I’d been using. But I found that if I put mail on a different monitor, then it would bring the new mail message window up above the application where I’d been working. So I’ll just keep mail on another monitor and it works perfectly. Thanks again!

1 Like