Elgato's Response to Setting Stream Deck Profiles via Keyboard Maestro or Other Third Party Apps

@timac is an active member of this community and works on StreamDeck at Elgato, they have been aware of this "ask" for a long time, I can assure you.

CORRECTION: did work at Elgato

I also trust them when they say that at this point, there just isn't a way to do it. I do hope at some point in the future they will be able to accommodate our request.

4 Likes

Ah yes, thank you. I knew there was a current/former employee here but I couldn’t remember who it was.

I don't recall them having stated that it's not possible, but if they did hopefully that has changed or will change in the near future. :grin:

1 Like

I haven’t tied this myself, but it might be possible with Bartender, which can set a keyboard shortcut for menu bar items, and then use KM from there.

Just had a look and couldn't see any hotkeys for triggering specific menubar items. As far as I can see the best method so far is the blank apps.

I was wondering if there might be a way to spoof the system messages that signal that an app has launched...? Wouldn't even know where to start with that, but presumably that's what Stream Deck's software is listening for..?

I believe he's referring to this feature in Bartender:

For instance I can use ⇧⌃⌥⌘W to trigger my iStats weather dropdown.

Ah.. I'm still on Bartender 3. That'll be why.

Maybe I'll upgrade and try it out.

1 Like

I had Bartender 3 and I do like 4 better because of some new features.

The nice thing about the Bartender hotkeys is they work even if triggered from Keyboard Maestro. So I can use a Type a Keystroke action to trigger a Bartender menu item from within a larger macro.

Ah darnit. I'm on Catalina so no dice. Thanks for the info though.

1 Like

I noticed that when I assign a keyboard shortcut (using bartender) that I cannot 'type', or arrow key to select a profile, I need to click it with the mouse. Is that a 'me' problem, or do you have the same issue?

I don't really use Bartender to access the Stream Deck menu icon, but I just tried it and I can move through the menu items with arrow keys or by typing.

Yes, so can I .. but not with Bartender :slight_smile:. I suspect that Bartender is doing something to show the menu, but not setting 'focus' on the menu. Even if I 'click' on the menu that is exposed by bartender, I still cannot use the keyboard to navigate it. I might report that to the folks at Bartender

1 Like

Yea that's odd because I can click or type through no matter how I access the menu via Bartender. Sounds like a bug on your end.

I wondered about that. I rebooted, and it now works.. I hope that it's not something that comes back again.

1 Like

For anyone reading back through this thread, I've created a macro to Select Matching Stream Deck Profiles Using Bartender ... closely followed by a much better/simpler one to Trigger a Stream Deck profile using a dummy app

1 Like

Reviving this old thread, but today I've updated to the latest Stream Deck software (6.5), and in the changelog they are mentioning new stuff in the SDK. I went to their changelog page and something caught my eye:

You can see this right there: Events Sent - Stream Deck SDK

Forgive my ignorance, as I'm not a coder, but does that mean that we'd eventually be able to trigger profiles (or profile pages apparently) according to our needs eventually, now that it seems there's a direct link to profile commands in the SDK? I mean, I guess we won't be able to make this link or use this "event function" simply via a KM macro (or will we?), but I'm just curious if that is what we've been looking for and that is finally been implemented.

As far as I know, that's the very limited functionality that can only switch to read-only bundled profiles. I haven't looked into it deeply, but that's my understanding.

Thanks @noisneil
Dumb question: What are "read-only bundled profiles" exactly?

Also, I know we can play around with the dummy apps trick so far, but depending on what you want to do, you can end up with a lot of profiles, and by extent, a lot of dummy apps. Which are not a problem per se, but I'd love to be able to stay within the same profile and being able to switch pages or even folders (instead of profiles) according to what regular window or floating window appear on screen, what plugin is opened (I'm working on Nuendo), what Kontakt instrument is on screen, so then I can swap to the appropriate set of KM macros (using KM Link).

I'm not actually sure. I looked into it ages ago, realised it was cripplingly limited (I forget exactly how) and wrote it off as an option. I'm sure there's some documentation on it somewhere.

Indeed. Any kind of direct programmatic control is woefully absent and long overdue!

2 Likes

If I remember correctly (I think I do, the only reason I'm sharing) you can "bundle" profile descriptions into a plug-in which would be essentially static from then on. You could then switch to one of those.

I think that's right.

Thank you for the update, @cdthomer, though I'm skeptical that Corsair responded to a developer question. :wink: