Engine keeps crashing on High Sierra 10.13.1

As subject, since I upgraded to High Sierra, the engine just crashes. no record in the Console log. Can’t determine when ,but quiet often I’ll come down in the morning and it’s down.

Can you send me the crash log?

It would be in the ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports folder

You can get to ~/Library in the Finder by holding down the shift (or option) key and selecting Library from the Go menu in the Finder.

I checked my crash reports system, and it is running at bit less than 0.1% chance of any user experiencing a crash on any given day. 10.13.x might be slightly higher than it has been, but not significantly. Almost every crash appears to be related to low level synchronisation issues, likely caused by system bugs.

Hi Peter, latest three logs attached, although I don’t think todays was due to a crash of Keyboard Maestro, but think it was OS around 01:00.

I have to say in all the years I’ve been using Keyboard Maestro, I’ve never had problems and it’s an absolutely fantastic tool. It say’s it’s saved me 6 months, but I think it’s a lot more.

This problem only started after I’d upgraded to 10.13 or possibly 10.13.01.

— David
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. -Marcus Aurelius, philosopher and writer (121-180)

1 Like

It has crashed again, sometime in the last 3 hours.
Here is the last log in the folder.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best
time is today. ~Chinese proverb~

Email the crashreport to support@stairways.com

It would be in the ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports folder

You can get to ~/Library in the Finder by holding down the shift (or option) key and selecting Library from the Go menu in the Finder.

I had many crashes in the last months, too. I’m on 10.13.2 now, and it still happens. I click to send the report every time, the dialog appears. Should I still send the reports by mail?

My engine still crashing and no opportunity to send a report, one minute it’s there, the next it’s not.

The dialog opens, when I start the KM editor after a crash.

I don’t get a dialogue andit can crash even when the editor is open :frowning:

There does seem to be quite an uptick in crashes under 10.12.2 and 10.12.3. It’s clearly affecting some users and not others though, since the number of crash reports I receive is still a tiny fraction of the users (2 crashes per thousand user-days), and yet some users report multiple crashes per day.

Unfortunately, I do not currently know what the crash is caused by. I do have one lead which may indicate something, but it’s pretty tenuous currently.

Is there anything we can do to assist with debugging it? Can you give us an instrumented app with more debugging?
– David

Not currently. If you can generate a repeatable crashing case, that would be helpful.

I’m getting this too, regularly. macOS 10.13.3.

And unfortunately I am still no closer to tracking down the cause of the memory corruption, or why it affects only a small number of people, or what might be the commonality between those people, or how to duplicate the issue.

Interestingly, when I upgraded to 10.13.3, it stopped crashing for about a month, but then started doing it again. Not everyday, it’s been up about 3 so far.

I have this problem myself. I just sent my most recent 3 crash logs to the support email address, hope that helps. Let me know if there is any more information that would help, or if you want more logs (I have another 9, going back to May 9.) They are all very similar looking though:

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]

Application Specific Information:
BUG IN CLIENT OF LIBPLATFORM: os_unfair_lock is corrupt

Thanks, but I have lots of such crash reports.

Unfortunately, not much progress on finding the culprit. I have enlisted some high level Apple help, but even they are stumped - it appears to be a bug deep in the Apple OS, but currently I have no clue as to how to work around it, resolve it, or even narrow it down enough for Apple to fix it.

2 Likes

But at least that’s progress, by finding it’s a bug in Apples code and having help.

Upgrades haven’t changed it BTW.

— David

Few things are more satisfying than seeing your children have teenagers of their own. -Doug Larson, columnist (b. 1926)

2 Likes

Crash logs Irls-MBP2.zip (83.4 KB)
I have been having KM engine crashes every day or two, roughly. I believe it's since I upgraded (??) to High Sierra; currently running 10.13.5 on a MacBookPro14,3. Here are the four most recent crash logs, from ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports. I uploaded four of them as a zip archive with this post.
BTW, when I try to drag and drop the .crash files, I get a black window with a dialog saying "Sorry, the file you are trying to upload is not authorized (authorized extensions: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, ico, kmmacros, kmlibrary, zip, tiff, kmactions, pl).", which is understandable, but clicking the OK button does nothing ... until the third and fourth click, which finally dismisses the dialog and returns me to this page.

Generally crash reports should just be sent directly to support, but in this case I already have lots (lots and lots) of these crashes.

Indications are that it is a bug in 10.13 in the OS code. Despite very clever Apple folks looking at it, I have gotten no further in tracking it down. However, interestingly, I have received no reports from 10.14, so I am crossing my fingers and hoping that somehow it is resolved in 10.14, but that may just be wishful thinking caused by the low number of Mojave users currently, or maybe caused by something else, like the crash reports being moved elsewhere or not being able to be sent or who knows what.