"Engine" Notifications without the noise?

In system settings I have the Engine notifications on, but the app notifications off.

I'd really like to see notifications when I use the "notification" action ->

But don't want to see the 50/day background notifications (since so many actions are default: notify when fail).

I have macros that run throughout the day, moving windows etc, that fail because the mac is locked or on a screen that doesn't support that window, etc.

It would take hours to find every "notify when fail" and turn them off manually...

The Preferences wiki entry has a lot of things you can modify/disable via the command line. Look at that page under the subheading Notifications, and it mentions the following:

defaults write com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine "Notification-Information" -bool NO
defaults write com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine "Notification-MacroExecution" -bool NO
defaults write com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine "Notification-MacroCancelled" -bool YES
defaults write com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine "Notification-ActionFailed" -bool YES
defaults write com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine "Notification-ReceivedClipboard" -bool YES

Notice the ActionFailed one that I put in bold... that might be what you’re looking for. However, this would obviously disable all failed action notifications globally, which may cause problems as knowing when an action fails is generally helpful when debugging/building macros.

A better idea might be to take the time to adjust your macros so they either 1) don’t execute when the computer is locked/sleeping or whatever, or 2) adjust those actions that are failing so they don’t notify.

If you want to track each one down, the following macro will show you a list of the recent failed actions in your KM Engine log, and selecting one will take you to that specific action in the KM Editor. From there you could disable the notify on failure option.

Download Macro(s): 06)Failed actions.kmmacros (19 KB)

Macro-Image

Macro-Notes
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
  • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
  • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.
System Information
  • macOS 13.6.3
  • Keyboard Maestro v11.0.2