Error -33933

Whenever I try to activate any of my hotkeys, an error shows up giving me this message "an error occurred while handling this hotkey" I've already tried reinstalling the keyboard maestro app multiple times. This just started happening about a week ago and I have no idea how to fix it.

I've already stated that I tried installing a fresh copy from the official site multiple times. I still get the same error.

@peternlewis might have some other solutions, but you might try doing a clean reinstall, meaning remove KM and all associated files before reinstalling from the KM web site.
You can use an app like AppDelete to do this.

If you have further problems, contact support@stairways.com.

Reinstalling KM by re-downloading it won't cure this issue. That being said the developer's suggestion of the corruption is legit however to mitigate the damage you don't need to re-download because it's not the app itself that's corrupted but files it reads the data from. You need to locate all of these files with the exception of the application itself and its support folder and wipe them out. If Keyboard Maestro is a startup item you don't need to remove it. After the clean-up operation laid out below it will launch to square 1 but with all your macros and settings intact.

Run the following 2 commands at the command line: open Terminal and first, paste the upper command into its window. Replace your_admin_password with your user account password which is an administrator account password (provided you're the administrator).

1. Locate Keyboard Maestro's support files and folders installed all over your system. Make sure there aren't any extraneous, non-related files and folders (big chance there won't be). Among them you'll find a hidden file named .Hidden Keyboard Maestro 9 Prefs (assuming you run version 9: in the case of earlier versions this hidden file - if exists - may have a different version number) installed at the root of your home folder which is worth taking note of and bunch of files in the /var directory of the file system root directory.

echo your_admin_password | sudo -S find -Ex / -iregex '.*(com\.stairways.*(keyboard.?maestro)?.*|keyboard.?maestro(.*|.*\.app))' ! -iregex '.*(firefox|tor.?browser|downloads|safari|\.trash|mail|documents|developer|resources|contents|frameworks|pictures|movies|application.?support|applications|logs).*' -prune

1. Once you make sure the located files belong only to Keyboard Maestro issue the removal command. It moves all of the located files to Trash after which you may per-use its contents and remove them manually, in a traditional way.

echo your_admin_password | sudo -S find -Ex / -iregex '.*(com\.stairways.*(keyboard.?maestro)?.*|keyboard.?maestro(.*|.*\.app))' ! -iregex '.*(firefox|tor.?browser|downloads|safari|\.trash|mail|documents|developer|resources|contents|frameworks|pictures|movies|application.?support|applications|logs).*' -prune -exec sudo cp -R {} .Trash/ ";" -exec sudo rm -R {} ";"

1. Restart. I don't know whether that makes any difference but I did that. After rebooting all my hotkeys are working again.
2 Likes