"Execute a Keystroke" for the SHIFT Key?

That's the whole point - I don't think the StreamDeck will behave as desired with any software. If you really wanted to do this with StreamDeck, you probably would need to write your own driver software for StreamDeck so that it would mimick a more typical USB keyboard.

StreamDeck is a wonderful wonderful piece of hardware. But one of the reasons it does such unique things is because it is not just another USB keyboard. And for that reason you probably cannot achieve the low-level control over each keypress that you want and that you could easily achieve with other devices.

If you do use the Streamdeck, then the hybrid approach I suggested of writing a KM Macro that recognizes the Streamdeck keypress and then also recognizes a modifier key on your regular keyboard may be the best you can do for this task.

Thanks tpj2018.

Yes,
I want the streamdeck button to behave like the shift key on my keyboard.

Streamdeck button down ( press ) = shift down ( and stay down until I release )
Streamdeck button up ( release ) = shift up

I will take a look at Controllermate. Thanks for the suggestion.

It looks like Controllermate is not compatible with MacOS Catalina. Only with macOS 10.13 High Sierra and macOS 10.14 Mojave.

Yes, but it does work. You will have to check if your usb device will work as a trigger.
You can always install a trial.
Im pretty sure an update will come, but updates are usually slow.

I know what a streamdeck is. CM is not a ordinary keyboard remapper.
I have still have to find a device that is not recognized as a input device in Controllermate.
If Streamdeck can send a key to OSX or KM then Controllermate can modify it.
From gamecontrollers to wacom tablets to midi messages to xkeys.
The whole point is that you need an app that actually can execute key down/up presses for system modifier keys without the contraint of a macro that ends.

Well Controllermate does seem quite interesting

But it does not seem to work on Catalina - I installed it but it did not detect any of my devices (not even my basic keyboard) and that appears consistent with what is discussed on Reddit.

Let's hope they introduce a Catalina compatible version at some point.

tell application "System Events"
  shift key down
end tell

delay 30

tell application "System Events"
  shift key up
end tell
1 Like

Thank you jhein.

I am new to Keyboard Maestro. Where do I insert this code?

Thanks again!

You need the "Execute AppleScript" Action:

You can just download my test macros here:
810 DEV Sandbox Macros.kmmacros (3.3 KB)

The most important thing is, that the trigger to release the Shift-Key again, must include the Shift-Key or you will not be able to press it. (I found this out the hard way and I was using the Alt-Key)

Thank you for your kindness and help!
I wonder if it will work by making the trigger key a key on my Elgato Stream Deck. That would be perfect! I will try this and see.

Best regards

Works like a charm. I just tested. Just keep in mind to add the shift modifier to the trigger for releasing the Shift-Key, because it is "pressed" when you push that stream deck button :slight_smile:

Hi jhein,

I notice you have a "This hot key" key combination here as a trigger. is there a way to make this work without it?

I just want to be able to hit a button on my Stream deck and have that be the hot key to trigger the SHIFT Key UP or DOWN. In other words, I don't want to have to touch my keyboard at all to do this. Just the button on the stream deck

By the way, I am on a MAC computer.

Thanks!

Look at the last screenshot again. I am using my Stream Deck. The hot key is just an additional trigger and not needed. I just an additional Trigger while testing it.