Execute an AppleScript Failed: "osascript is not allowed assistive access."

Everything seemed to be running fine, I'm just puttering with things, reading the forum, not even using the KBM Editor, although it's open. Then I started getting a weird error from a macro that is triggered by a Space Change. Here's the last line in the Engine Log:

2023-12-11 00:44:49 Execute an AppleScript failed with script error: text-script:159:175: execution error: System Events got an error: osascript is not allowed assistive access. (-25211). Macro “On Space Change, Notify, Call Recents Sub” cancelled (while executing Execute AppleScript).

I used the "View > Go To Last Aborted Action" menu item (what a wonderful tool) to find that the error is from an AppleScript that has been working fine, dozens of times a day or even an hour, for a couple of weeks.

I pasted the script into Script Debugger and ran it. I got an error popping up:

AppleScript Execution Error

System Events got an error: Script Debugger is not allowed assistive access.

So when KBM runs it, oascript is not allowed assistive access. When Script Debugger runs it, Script Debugger is not allowed.

But in "Systems Settings > Security and Privacy > Accessibility", both oascript and Script Debugger are allowed to control the computer. I tried unchecking and rechecking those items in the Accessibility list and it made no difference.

Script Debugger also identified the problematical line. It highlighted
count of windows
in the function definition:

on count_windows_in_current_space(process_name)
	tell application "System Events"
		tell process process_name
			return count of windows
		end tell
	end tell
end count_windows_in_current_space

WHY would that work for weeks and then suddenly stop working, with an error message about accessibility, that is already properly set?

I have no idea why it might have broken... but have you tried a reboot? :sweat_smile: Sounds simple, but most of the time when things like this break for me, a reboot (or at minimum, logging out and back in) fixes the problem.

That will be my next step. It's10-20mins to put things back together after a reboot, so I often hope there's a direct fix.