Execute Shell Script fails with some valid scripts

The Execute Shell Script action is behaving erratically. Specifically:

• The action can fail even when the script itself runs.
  • An action that crashes when Failure Aborts Macro is turned on for that action can succeed when Failure Aborts Macro is turned off for that action.
  • Different commands producing exactly the same output behave differently. In the examples below, running stdout through tee or not made the difference between success and failure.

I'll demonstrate with three example shell scripts:

1. ls --- success
  2. lsof +d /Users/jjh/tmp
    2A With Failure Aborts Macro ENABLED --- failure
    2B With Failure Aborts Macro DISABLED --- success
  3. lsof +d /Users/jjh/tmp | tee lsof.output --- success with Failure Aborts Macro ENABLED
    The only change from 2 to 3 is using tee to capture stdout and save it to a file. In this case the output Keyboard Maestro is coming from tee rather than from lsof.

Case 1: The action behaves exactly as it should.

Case 2A: The action fails with no output.

Case 2B: Exactly the same as 2A, but with Failure Aborts Macro turned OFF. Even though KM thinks that the action failed, the code actually ran, and KM even captured the output and displayed it.

Case 3: Exactly the same command as 2, but this time piping stdout through tee. Failure Aborts Macro is turned ON. The action works as it should.

And just for completeness, here is the output file created by tee.

It would be interesting to see if others are seeing the same failure.

(Un?)Fortunately, everything's behaving as it should...

For whatever reason lsof +d <dirpath> returns a nonzero exit code, which KM quite rightly treats as an error. Try it in Terminal, eg:

luggage:~ nige$ mkdir myTestDir;lsof +d myTestDir/;echo $?

When you pipe through tee, it's tee's exit code that is considered by KM:

luggage:~ nige$ mkdir myTestDir;lsof +d myTestDir/ | tee lsof.output;echo $?

...so KM knows the script completed "properly" and continues.

It's not a general lsof thing, either:

luggage:~ nige$ lsof -i TCP:443;echo $?
<list of open https snipped to prevent embarrassment!>

So you'll just have to watch for it and handle either in the script or with KM's action options.

1 Like

Thanks for that! I looked at stderr, which was empty. I'll be honest and say that my shell scripting is rusty, but my habit from back in the day is to equate no crash + empty stderr as a sign that all is well. I never wrote code that threw an error without some explanation as to why. I didn't look at exit status here, which I should have. That's the obvious thing for KM to check; next time I'll know.

I do find it puzzling that a standard tool like lsof routinely exits with a misleading status. I make a lot of use of command line tools, and always play with code in terminal before dropping it into KM. I'll add looking at exit status to preflight checks!

It was sort of happenstance that I ran into the problem at all. The final use looks like lsof +d ~/tmp | grep pdf | wc | awk '{print $1}', which gives a count of open PDF files in a directory. Fortunately awk seems to understand exit(0)! :wink: It's the best way that I've found to test whether things like web downloads are complete. Look at the number of open files up front, then wait until that number is back to where you started before moving on.

I only bumped into the problem because there is a lot of information there and I was thinking about parsing it. Lesson for the future: parse in the shell, dump the results in mktemp KM_XXXXXX, and return the filename. Then clean up when you are done. (Actually... let KM generate the tmp file, pass the name in a shell variable, let the shell return what it will, then let KM clean up after itself. That's probably a better way to avoid leaving a bunch of orphan tmp files laying around...)

But now I'm off into the weeds. Again, thank you very much for taking the time to figure out the error of my ways!

I should add... Over the last year-ish, KM has qualitatively changed my relationship with my digital world. I had never really seen a need to dive into AppleScript or AppleScript ObjC, and seldom made much use of JavaScript. Now I'm sure that JXA is in my future. I am enjoying a reason (excuse) to play in those waters while at the same time greatly improving my workflows.

In addition to @Nige_S’s information, you may want to look at the following discussion from June that also contains relevant information - and not just about grep:

1 Like

While the KM Wiki page on Execute a Shell Script mentions stderr, I don't think that it mentions error status. It would be handy if there were a line early on that mentions that KM uses error status to judge success or failure, and that checking error status should up front in the process of troubleshooting problems.