Family Tree Maker 3 for Mac -

I am a very inexperienced KM user but have one thing I'm trying to figure out how to do - in Family Tree Maker it has menu items at the top when the app is frontmost. But what then happens is you have a front page showing the tree you are working in and inside that, and separate from the app menu are choices of things to do with reference to parts of the data -- for instance, if I want to Merge Individuals that is not a function of the app menu -- it's a choice under the People area that you get when you click on the button.
How do I figure this out? There is no place inside the app to create a keystroke for those not already having them assigned.

Hi Victoria,

you can add shortcuts to most menu items of (almost) any program in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts.

(That is, without the need of Keyboard Maestro.)

See also this:

For a more detailed description by Apple see here.

Have you already tried that?

Since I couldn’t find a Trial version of Family Tree Maker I cannot verify if it works for that particular menu.

Note:

You have to type the name of the menu item exactly (including case and punctuation) as it is displayed in your app. In case of the Merge Individuals item this would be, according to your screenshot:

Merge Two Specific Individuals…

thanks much – I’ll try that = the problem [it may be my confusion] is that the People button selection is not triggered at all from the Menu itself - you need the actual tree open that you want to work with and then hit the Person button [the little carrot] to find the choice = I’ll try and see if it works…thanks so much.

Yep, it’s not sure that it will work and I cannot verify it here. You have to try it.

I don't have the Family Tree Maker app, so I can't test my suggestions.
Some apps don't populate a menu until the parent menu is activated (clicked on). So you might try this:

1. if the "People" button has a menu to activate it, use a KM Action "Show Menu" to show the People menu items
    OR
  2. If the "People" button does not have a menu item associated with it, try using a "Press a Button" Action
    OR
  3. If neither #1 or #2 work, you may have to resort to a "Click on Found Image" Action to click on the "People" button.
    THEN
  4. Then, once the People menu items are shown, they should be visible to KM. So you might try a "Show Menu" Action to choose the one you want.

My logic may not be perfect, and may or may not work with Family Tree Maker app, but hopefully it will give you some ideas.

For more info, see:

Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

I finally had the time to sit down and work on this - attached is a screenshot of where I am trying to apply KM -

- what you do is select a person in the list at the left, then go up to the People area and the little carrot pointing down and click there then drag down to Merge Two....and up pops the window you want to work with = basically I want a keystroke that will allow me to pop up the Merge Two item so I don't have to click and drag. Basically I'd select the name in the left list of names, do the keystroke and up pops Merge Two and then the list of relevant people pops up and I want the keystroke to end and I can take it from there, selecting the duplicate person....Hope this is clearer

You might take a look at Select or Show a Menu Item action (KM Wiki).

Thank you so much == tried that - the problem with FTM & KM is that the menu items do not really connect to what I want to do [the Merge] to get there you don't need a menu at all = there is a button thing called People where you click on the carrot and drag down to whatever it is you want. The menu VIEW can click down to People but that is a totally different function and not related to the People button right below the View = that's where the carrot [to the R of the word People] is used to go down to Merge where I want to execute]. -

Looks like clicking on the People button shows a menu.
So you might try first a Press a Button action (KM Wiki), and then the Select Menu.

OR, instead of the Select Menu, you could try Insert Text by Typing action (KM Wiki), where the Action would type the name of the menu item, and then a RETURN.

Select Menu will only work in the primary menubar.

As @JMichaelTX suggestions, try Press Button, or failing that click (relative to the window, or relative to an image of the People button), then maybe a small pause, then Insert Text by Typing, and/or Type Keystroke arrow keys or the Return key to select the menu item.

Thanks so much for all the help =-= I’m not able to work on this for about the next week but as soon as I can will work on it a bit more == much thanks!