Feature Request: indication that there's a note in the action

When an action has a note, it could be useful to have some visual cue to make it easier and faster to read the note. This is an action with a note as it is now:

My proposed solution where clicking the paper icon would open the note

I think notes can be more useful than adding a comment action, but the fact that there's no visual cue, makes it less appealing to use (to me, at least).

Would this be something you could implement, @peternlewis ?

8 Likes

I had a similar thought with plug-ins and submacros. When you share a macro to the forum that relies on either of these things, it would be very handy to have a note in the action that leads to a download page, in case the user does not already have them in their system.

1 Like

Yes, any visual cue for this kind of thing is always helpful, both for ourselves and when you share macros, especially because some notes are action-related and having them as a general comment at the top, would make it more difficult to understand

1 Like

I completely agree with this request - it'd be great to make them easier to see and get to. I know I'd use them a lot more than I do now.

Technically, there is a visual indicator, but it's shared with a dozen other things. (The Action menu is only blue when modified, and if the only change is a note, well, there's your visual. The problem is that nearly all my action menus are blue from other changes :)).

-rob.

2 Likes

Noted.

(see what I did there?).

7 Likes

I don't think this is "a thing" when it comes to the cog wheel icon turning blue.
Look at this one where I disabled the "Notify on Failure" option:

Still gray.

But even if it turned blue, it would still be ambiguous. What changed inside?
With the icon makes it obvious. And I agree that I would use this feature more if I knew there was an icon to show me which actions have notes and that I just need to click the icon to see the note.

Now that @peternlewis has "noted", let's wait and see :wink:

1 Like

Hmmm, I guess I remembered wrong ... I don't know why some are blue and some are not.

-rob.

It's probably one of those things that are random. maybe there's no real reason why some are gray and some are blue...

See: Pay Attention to the Gear Icon

The gear menu is blue if the action has extra selections in it (above and beyond the normal ones), or if a custom note has been set.

It doesn't reflect the state of the Failure options.

Hey, I was partially right! :slight_smile:

-rob.

2 Likes

This would be a very nice feature!

1 Like