File Order in MP4Box.kmmacros

As a non-coder I feel unqualified to be here yet I'm very attached to Join files with MP4Box [2022-04-21] and don't know of another site where coders have been so kind.

I've used this shortcut a lot in the past couple years to archive an audiobook collection and it's only now that I've discovered I'm doing something to sometimes make the file order go astray. In the MacOS 10.15 Finder I double-click on the folder to open it and take care to always sort by name. I select the files from top to bottom and press my shortcut. Soon I have my file, which I play to check. In recent days about 30% are wonky and I just can't figure it out. Below is a screenshot of today's failure right before I joined them together (I now save the raw files to join in a far less elegant and convenient way). I've tried to read about splitting and concatenation but I lack even a basic coding vocabulary. I did try the same with another app, "Split&Concat" and got the same result, curiously. When I use "AudiobookBinder" it works fine, though.

Any help would be tremendous.

Hey Pamela,

The Keyboard Maestro Forum is not a site for coders...

Keyboard Maestro is used by thousands of people, and the majority of them are not conversant with any scripting or programming language.

One of the draws of Keyboard Maestro is that non-coders can compose all sorts of useful workflows from the abysmally banal to the shockingly-sophisticated.

The macOS can be very weird about how it interprets the sort of the selection in the Finder, so I've forced an alphanumeric sort in @Tom's macro.

Give it a try. (I can't easily test MP4Box anymore, because Homebrew no longer supports my Mojave system, but I should be able to troubleshoot if you encounter problems.)

-Chris

Download: Join Selected Files with MP4Box v2.00.kmmacros (11 KB)

Macro-Image

Macro-Notes
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
    • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
    • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.

System Information
  • macOS 10.14.6
  • Keyboard Maestro v10.2

3 Likes

Oh Chris THANK YOU so much! You are brilliant AND kind.

I hear you about excluding myself and appreciate your welcome. At the same time it took me thirty minutes to enable your macro, so... ; ) Seriously I'll study and hopefully expand some favorite automations. For now I'm just delighted to be able to use this one and reliably!

You're doing God's work.

3 Likes