Filter by extension and then batch rename them

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to filter the contents of a specified folder and then batch rename them in numerical order. So my folder will contain numerous file extentions such as .txt, .pdf, .jpg etc and I need to just filter the .jpg files. Once they have been filtered I want to add the word drawing to the end of them followed by a number. So for example the starting file name is beach.jpg and once done it will be renamed as beach-drawing-01.jpg. The file name will not change (beach or whatever it is named as this will change) but the the word drawing will be added followed by a number (-01, -02 etc.). I have been trying for hours to work this out but to no avail! My current way will only rename one of the files before giving me an error message! I have attached a print screen of my currently not working macro.

Thank you in advance for any help :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

Add Drawing to the jpeg files only.kmmacros (4.7 KB)

It is better to upload the actual Macro as well as a screenshot as it makes it possible to test without having to recreate your Macro.

But I can see from your screenshot that the problem seems to be that you are not incrementing the FileNameCounter Variable. You set it to 0 at the start but never change it.

You want it to count up by 1 just before any renaming of any file. So, just before your "Move or Rename" Action put a "Set Variable to Calculation" Action setting FileNameCounter to FileNameCounter + 1

Click to Show Image of Actions

Ah ok, I have uploaded the file now. I will add your suggestion in and see how I get on. Thank you for your help :slightly_smiling_face:

Aso, you might want to set the format of the numbering. For 001, 002 etc you would do that with the gear menu like this:

1 Like

Done. Thank you for your help here. It is only naming one of the files though so there is 4 files in the folder 2 of them are jpg files but its only renaming one of the jpg files for some reason! I have added the updated code here.

Updated.kmmacros (4.8 KB)

Because the new Action to add 1 to FileNameCounter had been put in the wrong place. Also, you still need your original Set FileNameCounter to 0. See if the below works for you:
Add Drawing to the jpeg files only v2.00.kmmacros (5.3 KB)

Click to Show Image of Macro

1 Like

Genius! Works great. Thank you so much. I was not a million miles away but would never have worked it out without your help :grin:

1 Like