Finder Submenu Not in Right Order

Don't like popouts. Trying to save a couple clicks to copy files (PDFs) from computer finder to iPad or other computer using AirDrop.

Select file, then should be simple to use File > Share > AirDrop.

BUT record in KM won't do the AirDrop popout/submenu.

If I try manually to add an Airdrop submenu after Share, KM puts it above Share, so it is out of order. Can't reorder the items.

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 8.27.37 AM

I'm hoping this is a newbie mistake (only 10 years experience with KM....)

Hey @Ess_Yu,

I don't have a File › Share menu in Mojave, so I can't test this.

• What version of macOS are you using?
  • What version of Keyboard Maestro?

Try deleting “AirDrop” and moving “Share” to the Submenu position – then run the macro, and see if the Share menu opens (as it should).

I suspect that the share menu is dynamic, and that might be the problem.

-Chris

Latest versions of both -- KM 10.0 and OS Monterey 12.01

The problem seems to be more general with KM. Clicking + puts a submenu above the bottom item in the menu tree, and that doesn't make sense. Or they should be able to be put in order. Probably is an Apple problem, but then why does KM put the AirDrop item there at all, in the wrong place?

Or maybe what I was hoping is there might be some "code" like "Share > AirDrop" that would get to the right function.

For now, I can use the elusive always moving "arrow box" share icon in a window to fairly quickly get a file/s moved. But if the file is on my desktop, that isn't an option.

What do you mean you can't reorder them – all you have to do is cut and paste the text items in the text fields of the menu action.

You tried to record the share menu item with the Keyboard Maestro Editor's Record function?

Did you try using the menu-selector?

action:Select or Show a Menu Item [Keyboard Maestro Wiki]

Sure it does.

The last item of a menu-action is a menu item and always will be.

-Chris

Backing up the discussion.... Wanted a keystroke to pick a menu item, which is the Finder tree File > Share > AirDrop. I get to this point in the process and want to add the submenu AirDrop:

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 10.56.57 AM

So I click on the green plus button and get this:

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 10.58.36 AM

See, the "Submenu" has appeared ABOVE the Menu Item, and that is what I can't understand, nor does it work. The menu tree can't be File > AirDrop > Share.

So I tried to reorder the items, but they don't reorder, at which point I noted the problem on this forum. It may make sense to you, Chris, but not to me. That aside, how do I make it work?

I did try record, but it does not record the AirDrop popout "sub/side menu".

You say " The last item of a menu-action is a menu item and always will be." -- I don't understand that. The last item in a menu tree is the last item, and it may be a sub-sub-sub-sub menu item depending on how far down/out you have to go.

You ask "Did you try using the menu-selector?" Yes, that is how I got the stuff showing in my screenshots.

Simply put -- how does one get the "menu selector" to get a side popout function like AirDrop in the File > Share menu tree?

You can't reorder the fields in the action.

But – you can change the text IN the Fields – in effect reordering them.

Just copy and paste “Share” to the Submenu field and then type whatever is needed in the Menu Item field.

-Chris

Like this?
Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 2.38.33 PM

Doesn't work, at least for me.

Is it clear what I'm trying to do? Trying to have a selected file in the Finder go straight to the AirDrop connection, not the general AirDrop Go Menu item, but the File > Share > AirDrop routine. Same as right-click > Share > AirDrop. The second menu side-popout item on the right --

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 2.41.55 PM

KM record only notes a mouse pointer location when trying to record the selection (release) on the AirDrop item. I've now spent more time fiddling with this than I would have saved with a KM macro for the rest of my life expentency; win some, lose some.

It does work when you select it manually – yes?

Clearly theres a bug in Monterey.

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 2.38.33 PM

Change the above – select and delete the TEXT “AirDrop”.

Then run the marcro.

What should happen is that the share menu should open and stay open.

Let me know what happens.

-Chris

Yes, the File menu it stays open, using the blank Menu Item, with Share selected. But it doesn't popout.

I fiddled with trying KM to move mousepointer to the right so the popout menu pops, and then going down one line to AirDrop. The Record function stuck in a "Simulate Scroll Wheel Down 1" action, but it didn't seem to run as a macro and I ran out of time to play with it.

This is odd .... Using only the File > Share > [blank Menu Item] which opens up the Finder File menu and selects Share, if I then trigger this macro by a keystroke a second time, it opens up the popout. Then a down arrow selects AirDrop and Enter gets me where I want to go.

A bit later: Got a working kludge!

Image 11-8-21 at 11.18 AM

In macOS 12 a more direct approach would be possible in Shortcuts.app. With the settings as shown in the image the shortcut will not only airdrop selected files/folders but also selected text.

2 Likes