First Hotkey Press Won't Register

I use hotkeys to open applications.

But KM doesn't seem to register the first keypress a lot of the time.

If I press it a second time it works.

Any idea what's going on? I searched the forum and found nothing.

Thank you for helping this poor soul!

Hey @tomatojuice,

Welcome to the forum!   :smile:

I use many hotkeys for the same task and don't have any problems.

What's the scope of your Global Macros Group?

Does this happen with every hotkey or only some?

What version of macOS are you using?

-Chris

After a failure (after you press the hot key and it does not activate), check the Engine.log file and verify whether the macro was triggered or not.

The macro is getting triggered on failures. I think it may have something to do with the apps being in fullscreen.

Thanks for all the help. I'm a paying customer now :slight_smile:

Full Screen does behave weirdly in a number of ways. In a quick test with a Safari full screen window, activating another app brought it to the front and sent the Safari full screen off to another space.

Any suggestions for a workaround?

If there was a way to trigger two key presses in effect.

I am a huge fan and power user of KM, but I also use a few other tools.

In this case, I use LaunchBar as my primary app launcher, and activator. In most cases I have a LB shortcut of 2 or 3 chars. So to launch/switch-to Keyboard Maestro, I just type "KM".
Just tested it with Outlook 365 in full screen and it worked fine.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Can I fund fixing the full screen issue? :slight_smile:

If it works after you trigger the macro twice, you could presumably try including the action in the macro twice, perhaps with a Pause between them.

Unrelated to the thread, but KM also works in the Spotlight search field for launching Keyboard Maestro.

1 Like

Yep. I used SL for a long time before I got LB. LB offers the advantage of allowing the user to specify the shortcut abbreviation to use. It is also a great tool to open all of my key web sites, based on bookmarks I have saved. For example, to open the KM Forum in my default browser I just type "KMF" and then RETURN. If I want to open it in another Browser, I just press the TAB key to send it to another browser.

Putting the action in the macro twice seems to have worked :slight_smile: No need for a pause.