Has anyone ever tried turning an old iPad linked by cable to the Mac, into a completely customizable KBM (on Mac Os) 'hard palette', as described in the latest TidBITS?

I've been working with Metagrid for a few weeks now after investigating Streamdeck and other hardware controllers. It's really good, though the Keyboard Maestro integration in the new version leaves a lot to be desired.

Metagrid 1.6 adds direct support for KM, allowing you to assign macros directly to buttons. When they work, they work spectacularly, but there's a lot of problems actually selecting macros for button actions, and those connections are easily wiped away if you breath wrong at the app. Once the author gets the bugs ironed out, this is going to be an amazing product!

Here's a set of window manager buttons I built, all using KM macros, many with Magnet actions.

Note: Metagrid doesn't include button images that point up and left or up and right, so I had to fudge the 1/4 Top Left and 1/4 Top Right buttons.

1 Like

I spent (wasted was my conclusion) a lot of time with accessibility and Luna. In the end, I quit because it was too frustrating. I created a map similar to but not as nice as yours.
I think that the main problem in terms of workflow is the fact that when you navigate to the iPad, you lose all control over the Mac. keyboard maestro shortcuts no longer work, etc. In other words, I was under the misconception that the iPad would be an extension of the Mac, whereas it is one or the other.
I know that you can navigate from one to the other, but in the end it's too tedious and frustrating.
I would be curious to know if you encounter similar workflow issues.
thank you for your interesting post and illustration.

I was under the misconception that the iPad would be an extension of the Mac, whereas it is one or the other.

yup, using Sidecar will make your iPad into a "dumb" second monitor, so there's no way to tap on anything with your fingers :man_facepalming: ...
my guess is Apple has been hiring Microsoft engineers...

Thought about getting a Stream Deck XL, but for now KM's panels suffice. The best tool is the one you have with you

1 Like

very funny !!

1 Like

Duet will let you have the same functionality as Sidecar, except you can use your fingers, and you can use your iPad in “Portrait” mode, too. If you use it wired, it's a one-time fee -- their wireless option is like $20/year, but I like the wired option because it also keeps the iPad from discharging its battery..

2 Likes

I found that uncomfortable posture is also an issue when using the iPad as a second screen.
thank you for your suggestion

cool, had heard about it but the additional features over Sidecar are great, checking!

@tjluoma how's performance? Sidecar after a while makes MacBook(pro) fans run like a jet engine.
Anyway, at $9.90 it's a steal
Thanks

@hello, thanks for mentioning touch portal. The price has gone up a bit, and it needs some polishing and adding more functions. But combined with Keyboard Maestro it is very useful. I’ve purchased it.

1 Like

Sidecar's performance is terrible. Duet's is much better.

Here's someone else making this same point:

https://twitter.com/adriangranados/status/1297711785185882112

thanks for Zoom's spot-on answer
instabuy! :smiley: