Has Anyone Taken Advantage of Chromes Tab Groupings Feature Yet?

Just noticed last week that chrome rolled out the ability to Group Tabs which is a feature that I never knew I wanted and now I need to be a master with it because how could I ever live without that.

I haven't made any macros around it but the Group Feature does appear in the Tab menu so with KM it shouldn't be hard to work with.

Off the top of my head, my first use case will be grouping a few of the work tabs I have open every day. I have a Macro run at 8:15 AM that opens about 9 chrome tabs for work, having a few of those in a group and not showing across the tab bar will be nice. Going to dig into it this afternoon

1 Like

I've been using the tab grouping feature a lot and it's very helpful. There seems no way to save a particular configuration that I've found, but they do survive a restart.

Regarding automating group actions, it seems doubtful right now. Last time I checked the applescript dictionary for Chrome (about two months ago) there was no support. And that menu item simply creates a new group for the current tab (and you still have to manually provide a name). Not very useful.

1 Like

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the heads-up!

I hadn't noticed this yet, and after fooling with it a bit I think it will be quite useful.

I have a number of extensions I use to manage tabs:

• Blank New Tab Page
  • OneTab
  • Quick Tabs
  • Session Buddy
  • Tab Activate
  • Tab Position Options
  • Tab to Window/Popup
  • Tabs

And it's already nice to add this built-in grouping capability.

-Chris

1 Like

I had not noticed it.
After playing with it for a bit I'm not sure that I like it or will use it.
Maybe I have missed it but:

1. Move to Next/Prior Tab will not move into a Tab Group
  2. Don't see any way by menu or shortcut to select/activate a Group
  3. Can't close a Group if there are not any other open tabs

I've been using OneTab - Chrome Extension for quite a while and like it.

1 Like

You use ALL those extensions for tabs? Holy cow. I was concerned by MY over abundance of Chrome extensions... haha

Does anyone know how these Group Tabs affect RAM? I think I have kicked the habit but I used to have an addiction to having dozens of tabs open at once and that kills performance of my MBP.

+1 for OneTab because it's awesome....but not permanent so don't have hundreds of tabs saved if you can't afford OneTab erasing them one day. (Happened to me....don't know how.) Poof ! Gone.

I think if Google focused more on making bookmarking more robust, I wouldn't have so many problems with too many tabs.

Hey Bernard,

Scope out the Google Chrome Task Manager (in the Window Menu).

You can roll your own bookmarks with AppleScript.

The appended script saves the front tab as a bookmark in the WK folder in the Bookmarks Bar and then closes the tab. It can easily be modified to save all tabs in the front window or all tabs in all windows.

--------------------------------------------------------
# Auth: Christopher Stone
# dCre: 2021/01/03 20:54
# dMod: 2021/02/22 12:42
# Appl: Google Chrome
# Task: Bookmark the Current Page to WK (Working).
# Libs: None
# Osax: None
# Tags: @Applescript, @Script, @Google_Chrome, @Bookmark, @Current, @Page, @WK, @Working_Items

tell application "Google Chrome"

set bookmarkFolder to bookmark folder "WK" of bookmark folder "Bookmarks Bar"

tell active tab of window 1

try
         repeat while loading is true
            delay 0.25
         end repeat
      end try

set newBookmarkURL to its URL
      set newBookmarkTitle to its title

end tell

tell bookmarkFolder
      set theResult to make new bookmark item at beginning of it with properties {URL:newBookmarkURL}
      set title of theResult to newBookmarkTitle
   end tell

close active tab of window 1

end tell

You can also open a folder in the Bookmarks Bar with AppleScript:

# Auth: Christopher Stone
# dCre: 2019/06/28 07:01
# dMod: 2021/02/22 12:44
# Appl: Google Chrome, System Events
# Task: Open “Pending” Bookmark Bar Folder.
# Libs: None
# Osax: None
# Tags: @Applescript, @Script, @Brave_Browser, @System_Events

tell application "System Events"
   tell application process "Google Chrome"
      tell (first window whose subrole is "AXStandardWindow")
         tell group 1
            tell toolbar "Bookmarks"
               tell pop up button "WK"
                  perform action "AXPress"
               end tell
            end tell
         end tell
      end tell
   end tell
end tell

AppleScripted operations require NO static memory usage in Chrome.

-Chris

for less RAM you can use a tab suspender like
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-marvellous-suspender/noogafoofpebimajpfpamcfhoaifemoa

Want to append a small note:

...to give Google some credit, I should say that I've spent a bunch more time with the Chrome Bookmark Manager and it IS actually quite "robust". I finally (FINALLY) figured out how to organize/sync/share my mobile Chrome bookmarks with the desktop ones. Plus, everything is based on my PKM system that is now "codified" across my MacOS, notes database (Roam), etc.

In the end, I think there are two types of bookmarks for me. One is for fast access to places I know I want to go: my Google Analytics page or a WordPress admin page, for example. The other is for things I stumble across that I think I might want one day. For those things, for now, I'm using Raindrop so I can do tagging and so even if the site goes away in a couple years, I'll still have the info from that page.

3 Likes

I use the pre-Ver-10 of Evernote for that purpose.
Running Evernote 7.14 (458244) on macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)

Also, I do save as Chrome bookmarks all of my frequently used web sites, and I try to prefex the BM name with 3-4 chars that uniquely ID the site (like "KMF" for Keyboard Maestro Forum).
I then use LaunchBar to quickly go to the target web site.

I've always been a huge fan of Pocket back when it was called Read-It-Later. So I've always used pocket to manage things I want to save but maybe not bookmark, But I feel like the Pocket desktop app is lacking organization, just seems like its 2 lists. Current saved and Archived.

I have never heard of Raindrop but I am going to look into it now.