Has something on the forum changed? I'm receiving immediate emails

In theory, yes. But I didn’t get one for you just now.

However, that may be because of something I’ll check now.

OK, I got it, but I don’t like it:

• It is smaller and harder to read
  • It goes away to quickly

I’m going back to Chrome notifications.

Yeah, and it’s not solving my problems anyway. It’s not sending me notifications all the time.

Guess I’ll just rely on emails.

Since Chrome notifications are working for me in Chrome 52.0.2743.116 (2743.116) on macOS 10.11.4, maybe you could try reinstalling Chrome.

I know that is a PITA, and you’ll lose all your Chrome settings, but if it is important to you . . .

Do you get Chrome notifications when you have Chrome minimized, or completely covered up with other windows?

Just got a notify about your post.
Don’t know. I’ll hide Chrome now, and you can give me another reply I’ll test.

OK. Test.

Perfect. I got the notify, and it automatically brought Chrome to the front.

Cool. Then I guess I’ll keep Chrome on all Spaces. That should solve my problem.

Thanks!

Someone needs to give me a compelling reason to use Chrome. I have avoided it like the plague because of their update policy on all their software. (Which is to run updates in the background without asking my permission).

Why does anyone need to give you a compelling reason?

Just because I choose to use it doesn't mean diddly-squat. (That's a technical term.) :slight_smile:

I don’t know. I just like compelling reasons. :wink:

Because I said so. LOL

OR, what Dan said:

Actually, I prefer Chrome over Safari for these reasons:

1. I find it more readable.
  • Text size
  • Text style
  • Tab layout
  • Overall layout
  1. Chrome has a number of extensions that Safari does not, or work better.
  2. Apple gets overly zealous about security sometimes
  • Like the last update that broke KM because of some stupid, not needed, scripting setting (which you can fix once you know about it)
  1. Google seems more responsive to bug reports than Apple
    (although there are some exceptions).

I'm sure there are other things that I have forgotten about. I tried Safari in earnest for about a month about a year ago. Just didn't like it, mostly due to readability.

Hey John,

I don't like Google Chrome.

But you can remove the updater crap from your system.

I think this is still correct, but it's been ages since I scragged the updater on my system.

I keep Chrome on my system for testing – generally with only 2 active extensions:

1. 1Password
  • Tabs to the Front!

Safari handles AppleScripted JavaScript more robustly than Chrome, and I use that many times per day – so for the foreseeable future Safari will remain my default Web Browser.

I have a number of browsers on the system for testing including iCab and Firefox.

-Chris

Here here!

Yes, I actually did that. Then when it got shoved into my system again I resorted to killing the service and never running the updater. I think they got wise to that though I am sure it's for security reasons.

I have been concerned with Keychain Access with regard to it getting hacked so I have not been using it lately. How do you like 1Password?

Indispensable!

I've been using it since 2011.

Chrome is useful because it has the Flash engine built in, and it keeps itself up to date. As such, I use Chrome pretty much exclusively for when I need to access flash sites, and Safari for everything else.

Whether that is compelling, I don’t know.

Mind you, I just had to put a wooden stake in the heart of the Chrome update system on my son’s laptop because it had gotten itself in to a mess and couldn’t get out again - a bit like one of those walkers on Walking Dead…