Hotkey Control-1 Not Available

I have copied my KM macros over to another machine. On the new machine, I notice that one of my app-specific hotkeys wasn't working ( control + 1 ). I cleared the keystroke to reenter but it was not accepting the combination.

My assumption is some other app -- outside of KM -- is already using that hotkey. I quit as many apps as I could but still no luck.

Is there a way to find out -- system-wide -- what app that hotkey is assigned to?

thanks

Keyboard Maestro will usually override system set hotkeys...however there can always be outliers. You can check in the keyboard / shortcuts pane of preferences to see what hotkeys are currently assigned. You can also look into apps that show you system-wide and app specific shortcuts such as KeyCue. It can present you with a window that shows you every currently available hotkey shortcut in a window like in the screenshot.

2 Likes

Haha! I was just writing almost exactly the same advice as @cdthomer when his answer to you popped up. All I can add is a link KeyCue using shortcuts made easy

It's a great App to have anyway - but I think you can get a free trial version to try and pinpoint which of your Apps might be taking over the Control+1 key combination.

2 Likes

Great minds think alike! :grin: Thanks for adding the link; I didn’t think of that.

1 Like

nice app -- thanks for the quick replies.

1 Like

I think Control+(n) is what lets you move between different desktops, at least that's how it is on my Mac.

1 Like